Nice early Schwerin U-Boat badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
    Chuck, I'm not saying the badge is cracked, but the die itself which would have left a noticeable fingerprint on the items it created. Much like the S&L RK die flaws.

Thank you Darrell.

Yes I understand exactly what you mean and thought you were seeing but like Jody has shown on his example, the flaw can not be seen on the obverse of my example although it is plainly visible on the reverse.

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by vonStubben View Post
      Thank you Darrell.

Yes I understand exactly what you mean and thought you were seeing but like Jody has shown on his example, the flaw can not be seen on the obverse of my example although it is plainly visible on the reverse.

Chuck
      Pictures are deceiving and the lighting can cast wierd shadows. It's good to have flaws that tie the originality of a badge to a group production run.

Comment

Funny how the "crack" is in line with the large OD hinge pin head. Imo it is a "scrape" caused by the hinge pin head (the nail head) when it was being hammered into place.

Regards
        Mike

PS: I agree, a nice later tombak example.
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Here is the other item that went with this badge. I re-united them over this past weekend.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=1#post2351192

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
            Funny how the "crack" is in line with the large OD hinge pin head. Imo it is a "scrape" caused by the hinge pin head (the nail head) when it was being hammered into place.

Regards
            Mike

PS: I agree, a nice later tombak example.
            I agree Mike. I have an unmarked Schwerin tomback badge with a much lighter, but still visible, scrape in the same area. On mine the mark definitely does not look like a die flaw, but like you said, a scrape. I never noticed it until I read this thread...

Josh

Comment

Were the round wire catches the earlier badges? If so, what are your thoughts on when this one was made?

Thanks,
              Skip
              Attached Files

Comment

A shot of the obverse:
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Skipper Greenwade View Post
                  Were the round wire catches the earlier badges? If so, what are your thoughts on when this one was made?

Thanks,
                  Skip
                  Hi Skip,

To be honest, I'd suggest 1980s. The hardware is not Schwerin. The reverse profile is soft. The keel flaw/flashing is missing. Imo this is a decent cast repro.

Regards
                  Mike
                  Regards
                  Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Parakeet beak?

Is that a "parakeet beaked "eagle?
                    Don't have one of mine for comparison at present...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X