Auxillary Cruiser Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auxillary Cruiser Badge

I have never really liked Kriegsmarine stuff all that well, but over the years picked up a few things. I never trusted KM badges that much, because they were highly reproduced years ago, so I never picked up that many. Most all of the ones I have had were either acquired from vets, picked up in Germany at the fleamarkets, or, rarely, taken in trade from area collectors (and maybe only one I have left fits this category). I never got them from the military shows I attended. Someone is wanting to buy some or all of the ones I have, and I am thinking about it; however, I do not know current values at all. The ones I got from vets I have no doubts of at all, but I am not totally sure which are all the ones I got from vets. If you would I would like to know ballpark current values on the KM badges, and your opinions on them. I never ever gave a "lifetime warranty" on any of this stuff, so I would show your opinions to him for him to use in making his decision. I would never give more than a reasonable return on the stuff, because I am not a surety company against future market losses for someone's investments. If I sell something worth $100, and 5 years later the market value drops to $25.....I don't want to buy it back for the $100. Also, once I sell something, I may use the money for something and therefore not have the money to buy it back. Finally, I don't know that at some distant time I could be sure it was the same one I sold him......I can't remember where and when I got everything now, and have no idea what I will be able to remember 5 or 10 years into the future . I thank you for whatever information you may be able or wish to provide me. I don't know if this one ever had finish applied to the badge itself.

Thanks,
    Ron

Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 01-31-2015, 10:41 PM. Reason: uploaded the linked images

Hi Ron original Zinker . Hard to tell if this one ever had an applied finish, i think i can see slight evidence in the bottom part of the wreath but that could be the light from the camera or my eyes. Descent enough condition but with no finish around medium price but it really does depend on what the buyer is prepared to pay, and most would prefer a degree of the gold stuff . All the best

Comment

Originally posted by mrg View Post
      Hi Ron original Zinker . Hard to tell if this one ever had an applied finish, i think i can see slight evidence in the bottom part of the wreath but that could be the light from the camera or my eyes. Descent enough condition but with no finish around medium price but it really does depend on what the buyer is prepared to pay, and most would prefer a degree of the gold stuff . All the best
      Thanks for the information. I have quit posting the badges, and quit looking for prices. I had further contact a little while ago. The guy wants to pay about $30.00 each, which is about what I paid for some of them 20-30 years ago, and he wants to be able to bring them back forever. I thanked him, and said no thanks.....that I have just decided to keep them. Thanks for your help.

Ron

Comment

Hi Ron,

As already stated, a nice original Schwerin zincer.

Imo it would definitely have had the gold finish applied. In fact it is probably still there, but as this is a later zincer, it has probably simply faded to grey with time. I have seen this on other Scwherins. The fact that the hinge and catch are still gold is further proof of the original finish - these were imo appplied to the badge before the gilt finish.

As for price, at least US$400. An offer of $30 per badge is obscene - whoever made it is trying to f*** you over big time, to put it bluntly. If you call him friend, I would definitely re-consider that relationship!

Regards
        Mike
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Hi Ron $30.00 . The guys was obviously trying to ripp you off, I should have been more accurate in my medium remark i assumed wrongly you knew the market value. I will take it for $50.00 . Only joking $60.00 including postage . All the best

Comment

Originally posted by Ron C. View Post
            Thanks for the information. I have quit posting the badges, and quit looking for prices. I had further contact a little while ago. The guy wants to pay about $30.00 each, which is about what I paid for some of them 20-30 years ago...
            The guy making these offers is a crook and he will well know that too.

Regards ...

Comment

I managed to dig out one of my mid-range cameras and try some more pictures, still just using a blanket as a background thrown on the floor and the built in flip up flash, can't find my better ones so far. It is interesting how the background can change the tone and etc. of the photo. I only did the fronts of the Krim and the Kuban.....I don't think I like the red very well. When I told him what I had learned, he has never said another word to me, and I don't give a "tinker's damn" whatever that means! I have no idea, but it was one of the things dad would say when he didn't care much for someone. Sorry my hands are not as steady at 75 even as they were at 72..............and not even close to what they were at 50.

Ron

Attached Files
              Last edited by Norm F; 01-31-2015, 10:33 PM. Reason: uploaded the linked images

Comment

Nice Badge

Nice Zinc Schwerin Badge
                If this was on some of the high end Dealers' Sites it would retail around $600-$800 USD so be careful and it doesn't matter about the gilding. A $30 offer is repulsive to say the least. If you were trying to dump it you could easily get up to $400.00 for it here on estand if not more.

Steve

Comment

I agree with Steve.
                  Cheers,
                  Hubert

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Mezey View Post
                    Nice Zinc Schwerin Badge
                    If this was on some of the high end Dealers' Sites it would retail around $600-$800 USD so be careful and it doesn't matter about the gilding. A $30 offer is repulsive to say the least. If you were trying to dump it you could easily get up to $400.00 for it here on estand if not more.

Steve
                    I also agree.Schwerin HK's are highly sought after,whether in tombak or zinc.

Cheers,Martin.

Comment

Very nice "Level 2" zinc Schwerin. If I'm not mistaken Martin has an example of the same variant with provenance.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                        Very nice "Level 2" zinc Schwerin. If I'm not mistaken Martin has an example of the same variant with provenance.

Best regards,
                        ---Norm
                        Indeed Norm,

it came from a crewman who served on the HK STIER.I have the "named" zinc Schwerin and the award document.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin W View Post
                          Indeed Norm,

it came from a crewman who served on the HK STIER.I have the "named" zinc Schwerin and the award document.

Regards,Martin.
                          Excellent info. Thanks Martin.

Best regards,
                          ---Norm

Comment

Thanks guys, I did decide to keep it but in the end I decided to give it to my son......since he is now around 17 1/2 years old, and he has developed an interest in some of my stuff.

Ron

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X