Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSF by RS&S Question

Hi Guys:
    My collector friend just purchased this HSF by RS&S which I know is original. I believe it's a type 1 by the ball hinge and krimped catch. My question is that it has what appears to be some sort of clear coating that was applied to the obverse of the badge and the long term result is the guilt finish being absorbed by the fine zinc badge making the gold finish very dull. Does anyone else have one manufactured like this one ? This is the second one I've seen like this both very close to mint state. On my friend's badge breast feathers are visible on the eagle. It looks like the gilt was applied to the zinc badge then coated with some sort of clear coat. I also own the same badge but my guilt finish is more pronounced with some gold shine, and seems to be, being absorbed by the plain finish on the destroyer, like most badges loose their finish. I'm wondering if there were different techniques used at different times to manufacture this type badge? eg guilt finish then clear coat. #2 clear coat ship then apply the guilt finish. ?????? Your comments appreciated. First up my friends badge obverse
    Attached Files

HSF by RS&S

2nd view
    Attached Files

Comment

HSF by RS&S

rear
      Attached Files

Comment

HSF by RS&S

side view
        Attached Files

Comment

HSF by RS&S

my badge stronger guilt finish for comparision
          Attached Files

Comment

HSF by RS&S

my badge rear for comparision
            Attached Files

Comment

It's difficult to assess on the wreath for evident laquer on my example that I can tell, but on the ship itself it looks like it is coated perhaps and on the reverse you can just see what I think could be overflow in places of laquer.
              Attached Files

Comment

A truely untouched little badge this one.
                Attached Files

Comment

HSF by RS&S

Hi Marcus:
                  Excellent example. I believe mine was mfg the same way as I too have traces of lacquer on the ship and rear not on wreath. Hopefully I will get additional examples. Again thanks for the input.

Comment

Hi Guys nice examples , these awards are hard too find with a decent finish.

Comment

HSF by RS&S

Hi guys,
                      Those are great badges. Marcus, that is a super piece. I may have to get one of those RS&S HSF badges someday.

BTW, since you folks like RS&S stuff you need one of these to go with it.

Regards,
                      Jody
                      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X