Billy Kramer

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backward pin on a Schwerin Destroyer Badge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backward pin on a Schwerin Destroyer Badge?

Did Schwerin put there pins on with the base mounted the other way, such as in this photo?

s/f Robert
    Attached Files

Hi Robert,

A catchplate (indicating zinc) and a laid down block hinge (indicating tombak) imo do not compute for Schwerin. The MM looks weak as well. Without better pictures, I'd suggest someone may get fleeced.

Regards
    Mike
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Thanks Mike; this looks like a tombak to me. I'll post better pictures when it's in hand. Have you ever seen the pin block reversed like this? s/f Robert

Comment

Hi Robert,

I see no signs of repairs. From all I have seen of Schwerin Destroyer Badges, the combination of catchplate and laid-down block hinge = FAKE regardless of basemetal. But to answer your question, no, I personally don't recall seeing a reversed laid-down block hinge (as imaged above) on a tombak Schwerin Destroyer Badge.

Regards
        Mike

Regards
        Mike
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Badge appears soft and not of the tombak quality you would expect with this particular design. I have not seen reversed pins, possible I guess if it was a repair job, but this does not look period to me.

I have seen reversed pins on fakes though.

Need much better images in any case. John

Comment

John, fair enough. Hard to say much from the photo, which I posted to show pin orientation - can't tell anything else from them, for certain. I wouldn't have thought is was repaired either, from looking at the pics.

I'll post when it arrives. It's not a bad looking badge from the obverse, and I'll post those photos as well.

s/f Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X