Metallic thread cloth U Boot badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by colin davie View Post
    It is again not unthinkable that an 11 year old boy buying from Morigi today might assume that what he bought was a copy, being unaware of the 1% of real material he also sells. Perhaps this seller of repros in the US also sold original material on occasion? I don't know, but it might make sense. And yes most dealers in the UK buy from Morigi with such original items when he gets them, so they would be all over the place at shows etc. $5 was an ok amount in 1970.. a time when EK2 would not be much more.
    Hi Colin,
    When I purchased the U-boat badge, I knew what I was getting. The badge was in fact a copy for it was listed as such (I also bought a fake RK with oakleaves and swords from them too). Unique Imports did sell original items, if you look at the add I posted they sold real HJ buckles, SA eagles, Westwall medals w/cut packets, Heer dagger hangers, small size Luftwaffe M-43 caps, some SS Dachau cloth, Luftwaffe Ground Assault badges, boxed panzer badges, and Edelweiss cap badges and sleeve shields. This stuff I bought as well.

This same company also sold SA and SS parts daggers, and they were most famous for selling re-painted German helmets with Norwegian liners.

I was very fortunate as a child, my mother and grandmother gave me around $20 a week to spend on militaria and I was wise with my money. As a kid I also bought some fakes, because I also liked to play war and dress up for Halloween. I thought the U-boat badge would look cool on my windbreaker.

So for me these badges are no good. I have seen no proof to back this up, yet I have seen them for years sold as reproductions. I am not alone in this and others have seen these being sold as reproductions as well.

If others want to buy them as originals, that is fine. In my case I tend to invest my funds in much safer items.

Regards,
    Jody

PS-I did know what was good and bad even at 11. Here is a terrible photo taken of some of my stuff back in 1975. The DK is a 5 rivet example. I just wish I had a better camera.
    Attached Files

Comment

Ok Jody, just trying to make sense of an item that does'nt make sense, it can't be a copy though if there is no woven original.. so a fantasy item would have to be the situation.

Put it down as the greatest "lost opportunity" in 3rd Reich fake history, proper materials and machine in hand and he only made this.

You were a lucky boy to have $20 a week, at least you invested it wisely.
      C

Comment

I remember Morigi in the 1970's. He had some original gold buntmetall bomber flight clasps for next to nothing. An excellent buy even back then. I agree 99% was fake but every so often a real one would appear in his lists. Some un-issued hoard he had found in the days when USSR was still a no-go zone.

Do not know if the bevo U-Boats are good or bad ? If cheap then it is worth having one as a conversation piece but it will only take one clear photo to change that over-night. Until that photo is found, they are a "pink smock"

Very well made but when

Chris

Comment

Cloth U-boat badge

Originally posted by colin davie View Post
          Ok Jody, just trying to make sense of an item that does'nt make sense, it can't be a copy though if there is no woven original.. so a fantasy item would have to be the situation.

Put it down as the greatest "lost opportunity" in 3rd Reich fake history, proper materials and machine in hand and he only made this.

You were a lucky boy to have $20 a week, at least you invested it wisely.
          C
          Hi Colin,
          I agree, there are a lot of things in this hobby that don't make sense. A good example are the Heer balloon badges-they look good (and many top guys trust them).

In the 70's at least in my neck of the woods, those U-boat badges were all over the place. You always saw them at gunshows and most didn't give them a 2nd look. I also remember two top guys talking about them being bad and that was Wolfe and McCarthy.

As a kid I was very fortunate, I also had a mom and grandmother in the antique business, and they encouraged me in my hobby. They knew it would go up in value (not as much as it has though). My mom did help me with collecting (there was a few times they even traded some antiques for militaria). My mom even went with me to the 1st Max Show. My mom is very unusual, she loves war movies and always watches the History Channel. Plus she is now 65 years old, but she still knows her German medals, badges, helmets, etc. My grandmother is 89 and she knows them too.

Regards,
          Jody

Comment

I remember those cloth badges (metallic thread) circa 74 very well, I always thought they were very nice looking, albut also heard from many old timers they were completely bogus.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X