Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM honor ring.

Hello to all,

I have recently started collecting and I am trying to specialize in uboat related stuff like medals, documents, etc. I already collected replicas for reenactment and by accident some original stuff appeared in my collection (I could get it for a nice bargain, so why not?). But recently, infected with the collecting-virus, I decided to go for the real thing and having an interest in german uboats, I decided to collect stuff in that area.

Now I already have a question about something in my collection that puzzles me for a while now.

I obtained this ring a while ago and tried searching more information about it. I bought it presuming it was a replica and only paid EUR 12,- for it. But after examining it closer I started to get some doubts. Inside there is also a marker which is very hard to read (looks like a B or an 8). Because I am no expert regarding honor rings I would like to hear your opinions please. Any info is welcome regarding this ring. Thank you in advance already.

Ring

Hello Fluffy,
    Welcome to the forum. To begin with the Kriegsmarine did not have an honor ring (the SS had them though), but they did have an honor dirk.

Your ring is very crude and almost looks like the HSF badge came from a stickpin and the ring band was added to it.

I personally do not like what I see.

Regards,
    Jody

Comment

Comment

It is a put together with a stick-pin. Totally unofficial of course and whether it was made during the war or last week is anyones guess.

I have seen the odd similar item from supposedly from ex-POWs (Kept in Canada). The story being they were not allowed to wear their badges but were allowed to wear personal jewelry. ??

I have seen plenty of Pics of POW camps and when they were in uniform they had their medals and rank insignia on.

Comment

Thank you for your comments. I was asking about it because I had never heard of these things. I knew the SS had rings but never had I heard about KM rings. It is just a funny thing to have in my collection. I will see if I can find some more info on the POW-story.

Thanks again.

Comment

Fluffy,
            I am not a ring collector and therefore can't say anything about the originality of yours, though I will say that it looks too crude to me to have been done by any self-respecting jeweler.
            I just wanted to say while it is true that the KM had no official honor ring, there were private jewelers that made a variety of rings for the various services, to include the KM. If you can get copies of German goldsmith/jeweler magazines from the late 30s and early 40s, you will see many of these rings advertised.
            Dale

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X