Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R.S.S Maker Mark

Hello Gentleman,

Can some of you please post some reference pics of R.S.S maker marks for me. I know that their was different marks used , so any help would be appriciated.

Cordially Yours,
    JD
    What we do in life ehoes in eternity.

Come on guys,

I need some help, PLEASSSSSE.

Best Regards,
    JD

Comment

OK Joe,

don,t panic!
      Maybe it would help if you said what badge you are looking for. RSS has lots of variations.

See Here

Skip:
      Attached Files
      LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

and here
        Attached Files

Comment

and here.
          Hope what you are looking for is here

There are also Flying Clasps from RSS but I don,t have any of those. Sorry.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Skip,

The variation in the "R" was what I was after.

Best Regards,
            JD

Comment

Hi Joe,

Just for the record two more.

They both come from IAB's and are the same as the ones posted by Skip. Very clearly visible on the one posted by Skip is the typical die flaw in the shape of a exclamation mark after the last S.
              I always thought that this was a bullet proof indicator of authenticity on this badges.

KR
              Philippe
              Attached Files

Comment

RSS !
                Attached Files

Comment

Then again...I have this zinc RSS IAB in bronze with a totally different mark. I believe this is a later style because of the catch which is the same used on the later made HSF badges. I am very comfortable with this badge...it has the best strike and details.
                  Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Here is an example from a clasp, very late war piece as you can see the gilt finish is somewhat thin and shows the typical blistering ,any thoughts? It is an interesting point the the "R" on my example looks like the one Skip posted on his HSF badge. It appears that their are three maybe four different marks for this maker, which do not necessarily follow a time line of production.

Best Regards,
                    JD
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Joseph D'Errico; 04-29-2003, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Hi Lorenzo,

Personaly I think that your badge is an early RSS. In attachment please find a pic off my bronze RSS. You can cleary see that the bronze finish and for that matter also the base material used is of much poorer quality then on your badge.

I always liked your badge a lot and I also think that it is much rarer than the later versions

KR
                      Philippe

PS : Is it possible that yours had a catch repair?
                      Attached Files

Comment

RSS IAB BRONZE REVERSE
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Philippe. I always thought it is later because of the catch. Like the HSF badge, I think the earlier badge has the wide catch...not the square-wire like mine. However, the strike and details on this badge are so good...MAYBE it is an earlier badge. Dunno!

BUT...the more I look I think mine is later. Notice how the badge is constructed to accept the wide catch. I am sure the "square-wire" catch came later. It is soldered into place rather than crimped-in as the badge was designed.
                          Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Hi Lorenzo,

Could be but I feel that the material and finish on your badge is of much higher quality and taken in to account that the material used to make badges deteriorated over the years that wouldn't be consistent.

I also think that the lettering in your maker mark is of higher quality then on my badge. The lettering on mine is a simplification of the once used on your badge. That skiny mark for me is also consistent with a later war production.

It would be interesting to see an other RSS IAB with your mm on it to compare.

KR
                            Philippe

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X