• Time
  • Show
Clear All

coastal artillery badge

Hello.
    I need help with coastal artillery badge

http://sammler.ru/index.php?act=Atta...post&id=151079

http://sammler.ru/index.php?act=Atta...post&id=151080

Sorry guy, but I believe this to be a well made fake and I'll show you why.

I had previously purchased one of these..a year or two ago?? Anyway, the concensus was that it was one of the newer fakes coming out on the market and the telltale sign is the eagle's eye. Look closely and you should see the diamond angle and the eye is actually a ball that sets in that.

When I first got mine, I thought of the R.S.S. minesweeper badge as the eagle on that resembles this style, but there were other things that bothered me about it and I started asking questions. As it turns out, it was one being offered "repeatedly" by a bad source and starting to get out into the market. Oddly enough, since returning mine, I have not seen this one again until now.

Do a search under the Members Only section for fake Coastal Artillery and the thread should still be there. Here's some PICS of my old one to compare with. Good luck!
    Tim
    Attached Files

Comment

You can see that the front is a match.
      Attached Files

Comment

The reverse hardware looks different, but IMO, it's still a bad badge.
        Tim
        Attached Files

Comment

The badge did have some good detail to the front, but as I show you the last PIC, you'll see some areas that are noticable.

Notice the discoloration of the metal surface; this was believed to be caused by too much heat in the manufacturing process; not seen on original period pieces.
          Attached Files

Comment

There were striations on the edges (both inside and out) that made it appear to be die forged, but good fakes also can have these and can not be relied upon anymore by this trait alone.
            Attached Files

Comment

This was the hinge on mine. Note that it is close in design to original block style hinges, but also slightly different.
              Attached Files

Comment

...and the style of catch that should always make you look twice at a badge.
                Attached Files

Comment

Last one; note the red circles and accompaning notes.
                  Tim
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for your comment!!

Dmitry

Comment

Tim,

Some excellent detective work on your behalf. When I was looking at this one over the weekend I thought that it was good, I hadn't looked at the fakes gallery though.

One to look out for,

Regards,

Mark
                      Last edited by Mark McShane; 10-02-2006, 06:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X