Naval Destroyer Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naval Destroyer Help!

I already know the answere but need some professional opinion. In my knowledge the hollow ones were not made during the war. The makers mark is also very strange. So can anyone give a proof that it is a piece of running away.
    Last edited by tomlaan; 09-23-2006, 09:17 AM.

Back

Back
    Last edited by tomlaan; 09-23-2006, 09:17 AM.

Comment

You are correct in your assessment. This badge does not match any known examples produced during the war. As far as absolute proof, that is sometimes difficult to provide when it has no known "relatives" as far as I am aware.

I am also not sure the term professional applies to most of us (or anyone else maybe) except for self-proclaimed ones. This forum tries to match known examples that are accepted as original to others provided for examination.

I would say an association of fellow collectors, not experts maybe, doing our best in what can be a tricky area of militaria.

If it matches, then it is good and if not, especially the well known fakes, then it is not.

When a badge has an unknown maker and does not have the characteristics of other known wartime badges, etc, etc, it is probably best to stick with accepted examples than spending money on ones that fall outside of those parameters.

I would not buy this badge or sell it either except as a reproduction.

John

Comment

Thanks John!

Comment

There is even proof that these are fakes. Most examples of thsi fake have the exact same setup as the "two dot" hollow PAB fake. The same unusual hinge and a FLIMSY catch. On your example, the catch was improved. I will show you some other examples which make the fake PAB connection easy:
          Attached Files
          Cheers, Frank

Comment

Attached Files
            Cheers, Frank

Comment

Attached Files
              Cheers, Frank

Comment

Thanks Frank!
                Its very clear now. Just for curiosity: did this kind of makers mark really exist or it is someones imagination. By the way got yesterday Your book. Fantastic work! Thanks!

Comment

These marks are fantasy marks. You can also see a "L/4" on one of the examples I posted. The real LDO codes start with L/10. The "GES. 76" on your badge is also unheard of in relation to original war badges..
                  Cheers, Frank

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X