X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destroyer Badge

Hi folks!

<----new guy...

I just wanted to ask for your opinion concerning this destroyer badge. Any comments a highly appreciated. I´m new to this kind of badge, and I´d like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Daniel
    Attached Files

The back...
    Attached Files

Comment

Different angle....
      Attached Files

Comment

Its a very nice original Schwerin Destroyer. Most of the fire guilding has worn off and is just visable in the crevices. Typical splodges on the reverse.
        The pin appears to have been mounted the wrong way around or somebody removed it and replaced it the wrong way around at some time.

Skip
        LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

Original badge as Skip says. The scratches are odd, wonder how that happened as they are not continuous from the bottom mark thru the top maker's mark and up the badge.

The pin is reversed, not sure how hard it is to pull the old pin and put the pin in correctly. Well, I would not try it.

I wonder if the scratches can be seen on the other side of the pin?

John

Comment

You mean these scatches right, John.

I wondered about those as well. Seems to have something to do with the mark. Some sort of die slip maybe.

Also, possible scratching from pin removal?

Skip
            Attached Files
            LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

That´s what I thought about the scratches. They made me a bit suspicious. But everything else looked good, so I bought it...

Maybe this happened while stamping this badge, maybe the form was pulled off wrong, who knows.

Here is the "thing" that came with this badge...
              Attached Files

Comment

Hey guys,

thank you for your kind replies, I really appreciate your efforts!

I did a few close up shots of the needle/pin area. If you look at the marked spot on the picture, you´ll see that the original grey plating on the pin(the plating on the needle is loose) is still connected with the needle-block. I think this proves, that the pin was never replaced or re-mounted.

Let me hear your thoughts about that.

Again, thank you very much!

Daniel
                Attached Files

Comment

Close up of the scratches above the pin.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Are those "scratches" above the maker mark raised like ridges or grooves like scratches? This definately has the look of a "Friday quitting time" badge.
                    pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by ddoering View Post
                      "Friday quitting time"

ROFL

Hi Don,

what about a sudden air strike?!

The scratches are raised like ridges.

Daniel

Comment

Based on your photos, it seems this is the way this badge was hatched.

In combination with the document, an interesting set.

Can you determine the signature name on the doc? If not, try posting it on the paper forum, there are some real experts there that probably know if you do not already.

John

Comment

Destroyer Badge

Hello,
                          I like the badge and see no problem with it. The badge has traits I always look for, flat spot on top hook, finish spilled over on the reverse, etc. I have seen raised lines on a few other Destoyers by this same maker.

BTW, great document!

Regards,
                          Jody

Comment

Well, I checked my lists, the Commodore at this time should be KS Alfred Schulze who was replaced by KS Fredrich Kothe in April 1943 (6th Flotilla), but neither seem to me to be the signature. Maybe it is the Captain of the destroyer and he was acting Commodore.

I would post it for other opinions in the paper forum---better at it there.

John

Comment

Hi gang,

thank you all for your kind comments. I really appreciate!

The signature of the Document is the holder of the knight´s cross and leader of the destroyers Erich Bey. He got his KC for his efforts in Narvik. He died when the Scharnhorst sunk in 1943.

Regards,

Daniel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X