E-boat by Schwerin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-boat by Schwerin

Here is some poor images of an eboat badge that is supposed to have come directly from a veteran - a German veteran at that or so the story goes - the pin and catch do not look right from the get go. What do you think? The maker mark looks pretty good but otherwise .....
    Attached Files

Just for reference
    Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Just to clarify, the photo on the far right in the second photo is the badge in the first photo. I have not found this pin and catch set-up on this site for an Eboat but I did notice that Aux cruisers sometimes had a similar set-up to both types shown. Sometimes a flat wire catch with a pin that starts on the inside of the badge and sometimes a wire hinge with the pin starting on the outside of the badge. The pin seems short because of this I guess. Hmmm

Comment

Hi,

I believe you are well justified to be very suspicious. Although the maker mark appears correct the reverse hardware is incorrect and to me the obverse detail is lacking. The finish also appears off to me. Imo it's a decent cast repro.

Regards
          Mike

PS: the basemetal appears to be an incorrect white-metal, not tombak.

PPS: I don't recall seeing a round-wire catch on any genuine Schwerin badge - except for the imo early U-boat badges. Those unmarked AuxCr badges with round-wire catches are most likely Junckers - not Schwerins.
          Last edited by Mike Kenny; 06-09-2006, 09:41 PM.
          Regards
          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Prefer Mikes "story" to that of the sellers!
            Regards, Rob
            Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Mike mentioned all the 'major' discrepancies. I wouldn't want it in my collection.

Regards,
              mark
              "You can check out any time you like ..... But you can never leave....."

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X