Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E Boat Schwerin

Hello All,

Once Again I Look For Advice On Another Badge.this Comes From The Same Person I Got The Destroyer Badge(see Thread Destroyer Help) .this Piece Is From A Family That Let Go All Of The Soldiers Items And The Seller Is Selling The Items Seperately.this Badge Comes With The Orignal Award Document.i Searched A Few Threads And To Me Looks Ok.frank H. Had Mentioned In One Of Them About The Faint Line Marking On The Lower Reverse,which This Badge Has On The Bottom.i Really Hope This Is A Good One That I Would Like To Add To The Growing Fleet.as Always Thanks To All Members For Their Advice.

Tom
    Attached Files

Pic 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tom,

Looks just fine to me and as you mentioned it has the correct dieflaw.

KR
      Philippe

Comment

S-boot

Hi Tom,
        I agree it is a nicely worn original piece.
        Regards,
        Jody

Comment

Hi Tom, it is original but has quite a bit of wear. best wishes,
          jeff
          Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

E-boat

Tom,

What you might want to do is take the badge outside in the sunlight and take shots without the flash using this type of camera. I think the badges, both this and the destroyer badges are original, but, the camera resolution and flash are distorting them a bit washing out many of the features that are probably there.

You might want to give it a try, or borrow another camera or use a scanner.

If you have the document that went with the E-boat, you have increased the collecting value since it is a nice grouping and more than makes up for the wear that is present--since it is a worn badge, its condition is in line with the history of the badge making it quite a find. Very lucky on your part and it is good you are doing the research. I would be interested if you would post the award document here, there are several that were made for this badge to see the type of vessel the sailor served in.

Jeff has pointed out before that the E-boat fellows got the destroyer badge before the E-badge was produced, so your sailor might have been awarded both for the same ship, or, he might have gone from one class to the other, no way of knowing without the destroyer document, but the E-boat document would shed some light on it maybe.

So, maybe you can scan the badge and the document and post it here so we can see the grouping.

John

Comment

Since you brought it up, what could you conclude with this document? Also, is the die flaw mentioned the diagonal line running at an angle on the bottom reverse of the badge? Is it found on all originals? Thanks
              Attached Files

Comment

FIRST WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL FOR THEIR INPUT-THIS SITE IS ALWAYS A REAL HELP.IM USUALLY GOOD ON FIGURING OUT THE DESTROYERS-BUT THIS ONE ALSO MADE ME SCRATCH MY HEAD.THE CLOSEST MATCH THAT I FOUND WAS A DEUMER DESTROYER(SAME PIN/HINGE SET-UP)I STILL DO NOT HAVE THE BADGES IN HAND.THEY ARE ON THE WAY TO ME.IM TRYING TO ALSO GET THE SOLDIERS EK1 WITH ITS AWARD DOCUMENT.THE PERSON WHO SOLD THE ITEMS PARTED OUT AN UNBELIEVABLE COLLECTION OF THIS SOLDIERS PAST.IF I COULD I WOULD HAVE PURCHASED IT ALL-BUT SOME ITEMS WERE ALREADY SOLD.HE ACTUALLY TOOK SOME OF HIS UNIFORM PATCHES OUT OF HIS MEMORY BOOK AND SOLD THEM ALONG WITH HIS DOGTAG/WITH ITS DOCUMENT AND SOME OTHER UNIFORM AWARDS/WITH THEIR RESPECTIVE DOCUMENTS.HE EVEN SOLD A FRAMED WEDDING PICTURE SHOWING THE SOLDIER IN FORMAL DRESS UNIFORM WITH THE E-BOAT BADGE.IT MAKES ME ANGRY WHEN STUFF LIKE THIS IS PARTED OUT.THESE ITEMS WERE TOGETHER WITH THE FAMILY FOR ALL THE YEARS AND NOW THE ITEMS ARE SCATTERED.WHEN I GET THE ITEMS IN HAND I WILL TRY TO GET BETTER PICS.THE DOCUMENT IS THE SAME AS POSTED ABOVE.I WILL HAVE MORE INFO WERE HE SERVED WHEN I RECEIVE THEM.I THOUGHT I SHARE SOME OF THE HISTORY OF THESE ITEMS.

THANKS ALL,
                TOM

Comment

Tom,

Do not worry about who made the destroyer badge. The destroyer badge, unless marked, is very hard to classify. It only matters if it is period or not, and yours is fine.

John

Comment

Originally posted by rfleming32
                    Since you brought it up, what could you conclude with this document? Also, is the die flaw mentioned the diagonal line running at an angle on the bottom reverse of the badge? Is it found on all originals? Thanks
                    Sure,

This sailor was awarded the badge while serving with Schnellbootsflottille 3 in the Mediterranean. The badge was awarded after the units service in the English channel and Baltic, and the unit stayed in the Med until the end of the war. He was a petty officer armorer, so he had his hands full taking care of weapons.

You can google and get very good German summaries of the unit's service.

The Commanding Officers were:

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Oblt.z.S. T******246;niges m.W.d.G.b <TD>05.40 <TR><TD>K.Kapt. Kemnade <TD>05.40 - 07.43 <TR><TD>F.Kapt. Schultz (Herbert Max) <TD>07.43 - 09.44 <TR><TD>Kptl. M******252;ller (Albert) <TD>07.43 - 09.44 (stellv. Flottillenchef) <TR><TD>Kptl. M******252;ller (Albert) <TD>09.44 - 10.44 <TR><TD>Kptl. Schulz (G******252;nther) <TD>10.44 - Ende

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
                    So, nice award document. One of the fancy types. John
                    Last edited by John R.; 06-07-2006, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks John For The Input.i Collect The Various Makers Of The Destroyer But I Just Loved The History Of This Particular One And Could Not Let It Go.i Just Picked Up And Unmarked Gwl Destroyer Badge From Someone Who Thought It Was A Repro-sold It To Me For $110.00 This Destroyer Joins The Fleet Of:

High Seas Badges
                      Schwerin Tombak
                      Rs Zink

Destroyer Badges
                      Unmarked Gwl
                      Unmarked Tombak
                      4-steinhauer/luck
                      Rs

Coastal Artillery
                      Schwerin Tombak
                      Juncker Tombak

Minesweepers
                      L/11 Tombak
                      Assmann Tombak
                      R.k. Tombak
                      R.s.s. Tombak
                      Wernstein Zinc

Uboat Clasp In Silver Vaulted By Schwerin

Auxiliary Cruiser
                      Unmarked Rare Semi-scooped L/21

Still Missing E-boats And U-boat Badges.i Hope To Add Them Soon.

Comment

Getting back to the line/die flaw again - I went through the various threads and I think I have answered my own question ......
                        It looks to me that the line is not always present on badges dubbed originals. However it is sometimes found more pronounced on some badges than others almost to the point of being barely present in some examples. It is also sometimes found on high end fakes, but not frequently. A good indicator of an original badge but not necessarily a conclusive one.
                        Have I got this right?

Comment

I would always opt for "the Line" rather than not if I were looking for a 1st pattern Schwerin E-Boat badge. I don't think I have seen an authentic badge without the line, although I have seen a few purported fakes that had it.

1st pattern Scherin E-Boats are fairly uncommon and I believe the flaw was part of the original die.
                          Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

-

Very nice badge!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X