Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aux. Cruiser Badge Help

Hi Guys
    Was wondering if anyone can help me identify the maker of this badge.Thanks in advance, Jay

Front view, IMG_0848.JPG

reverse picture.
    IMG_0847.JPG

Comment

Hi Jay, hope i am wrong on this one but a couple of things bother me about this award. Firstly the colour, too yellow, the detail on the globe also appears to be lacking. This award has similarities to certain fakes that are around at the minute. Better pics of the eagle will help.

Comment

Dear Sir , here are some more photos.
        Eagles head.scan0001.jpg

Comment

#2 Shipscan0002.jpg

Comment

#3 close up of the Globescan0003.jpg

Comment

Hi Jay, would wait for other opinions but if i was to be honest i am not that keen on this award and would not be one for my collection. It maybe a maker i am not familiar with but it has too many similarities to the fakes around at the minute, wrong colour, poor detail to globe, look at England for example looks like a stretched out crocodile .It does howevewer have a different catch to the fakes. Lets see what others make of it.

Comment

Aux. cruiser

I am editing my initial response to as follows based on the follow up images:

The details are not as defined in the globe as one might expect in many other badges but that alone is not enough to call this one a reproduction.

I in fact saw this one in hand at the Pomona Show, and at the time, it looked good to me.

John
                Last edited by John R.; 06-04-2006, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks John for your opinion.In fact this is the one i just received from Jeff in trade.Jay

Comment

Here is another pic of the reverse. Notice the twist line in pin.
                    jeff
                    Attached Files
                    Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

[The probability is that this is a poor attempt at fooling somebody and they created the wear patterns to make it have an aged look.

John[/quote]

Hi John i posted a fake Aux. awhile back and the wear was very similiar, and cleverly done. All the best

Comment

Jay,

The twist lines are interesting. I did not notice those in the original images.

Please post an edge image of this badge. Like I said, I am not willing to say it is a reproduction quite yet. The globe details are not what I would expect in this badge however, that does not necessarily mean it is a fake, maybe just a poor quality original piece.

Lets see the edge view since we have gone this far. The wear patterns are convincing of course, and now the twist line of the pin.

Some other opinions besides myself and mrg would be helpful or if others have images of globes that match this one before we condemn it.
                        John
                        Last edited by John R.; 06-04-2006, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I do not have the badge to photograph the sides. If I remember there were shear marks however I can't say for sure. Maybe Jay can look at it and let us know. best wishes,
                          jeff
                          Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

edge shot

What I am looking for is a cast line--maybe you can take a magnifying glass and see how the badge was finished. Tombak and zinc were both pretty much made the same way--die cast in this case, should not have an edge line.

Fakes are straight cast jobs, so you can often see a line running around the edge of the badge, missing from original zincs and tombak badges. John

Comment

die cast

This is turning into an interesting thread. To explain what I am looking for Jay, with the die-cast method there will be striations around the edge, but not a casting line like you see on cast fakes, which are low volume production pieces in which the metal is poured into a mould.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X