New Sweeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Sweeper

Picked this up at the Pikesville show today... I have been wanting an early tomback, and this one's gilt was in fine shape, so couldnt pass it up! Oh, and it's vaulted, as well!

Last edited by Aldwyn; 05-27-2006, 03:10 PM.

Ms

Classic RK. Nice to see that it is vaulted. John

Comment

Hi Aldwyn very nice , and in good condition too for this maker.

Comment

Thanks guys... I am really digging this badge.

The dealer said the guy he bought it from polished his medals. While I prefer the lived in look to them, in this case, the polishing really has kept the shine to the gilt. Great badge, though. I am sure there is some story about the vaulting behind it as well, since one wing of the eagle is slightly bent back... I assume from the vaulting procedure. I can't bend it back with my fingers though, it it had to have been done with tools. <shrug>

Anyway, way cool badge, and I am chuffed to have it!

Comment

Hi Aldwyn as with the U-Boat awards these awards were produced flat and were vaulted by the reciever of the awards. If you look at the reverse (right hand side as viewing) there appears to be marks running down vertical from the eagles wing. You can make out a line of small indentations (unless it the pics) were the tool used has left marks. Check out the reverse with a magnifying glass and you can usually detect marks. I have a couple of U-boat awards with these marks. All the best

P.S Marks are about 1mm in from the right hand side wing as viewing (the first mark starts parrell with the bottom of the wing) i count about 4 or 5 small marks?

Comment

Indeed... there are marks on the back of the badge. On the right side, especially, looks like it was held by plyers.

Looking in the light just now, and magnified by a loop, I noticed something interesting... The back of the badge has a rainbow look to it in spots, like oil of the surface of water. Any ideas why? I think I remember reading about this somplace, but can't remember at the moment!

Comment

-

Delicious! R.K. are among the nicest IMO.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X