Clear All

Here are closer pictures of the hook and catch set-ups:

Real:

Fake hook:

Fake catch
    Attached Files
    Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Nice work, Lorenzo! Thanks also to you Jeff, for sending those two badges so that Lorenzo could examine them.

Best regards! Tom
      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Hey Lorenzo,

Since you have those two badges in-hand, could you examine the hinges. Are they definitely a separate attachment, or are they actually cast as an integral part of the badge?
        Thanks & best regards! Tom
        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Hi Tom. The hinges are not cast-in but separately attached. See picture.

Also notice that Eric's badge (on the right) shares the same distinctive casting "pock marks" that appear on both of Jeff's badges. There are actually more of these marks on the rest of the badge but I just show these three sets as representative examples.

Attached Files
          Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Thanks for the information, Lorenzo!

Best regards! Tom
            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Thank you Lorenzo for taking the time to photograph these crappers and take measurements. Hopefully no one will get fooled by this style again. I will return them and get my money back and I appreciate everyone who had some thoughts on these. The "flat pin" is a round pin that someone bashed with a hammer until it was somewhat flat. You will see these casting marks are also in the same place on Eric's example. Best wishes to everone for the new year and happy collecting.
              jeff
              Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Hi guys

I think Lorenzo's pictures show some clues. As I know in casting process, worker will clean the die after the workpiece was taken off the die. Because the process of clean die is to make sure the pattern on workpiece is clear and precise. So, the same casting defects are almost impossible to appear on original badges, but this is just useful in the case of the defect is a hole not a raising spot.

best regards

Indy

Comment

Great Lorenzo, good info to know these all share the same pock mark pattern!
                  Cheers, Frank

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,731 at 02:37 PM on Today.

Working...
                  X