Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Dave.

Comment

Hi Henri. I have been looking at your badge and comparing it to other Schwerins. It really doesn't look quite right to me. The mark looks good, but the details on the front of the badge...cabin, flag and waves don't seem to match other originals that I have seen. Also note that the top hook lacks the "notches" you typically see on a Schwerin.

Perhaps it is the angle of the scan. Could you provide more straight-on shots of the front and back?
      Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Thanks Lorenzo. I have requested some additional photos and will post here. In the meantime here is a photo of the pin construction. Is it correct?
        Attached Files

Comment

I have replaced the photos with better ones. or

Comment

Looks like a real badge, but one on which the plating has come off and been replaced with paint or some other finish.

Comment

I am not real excited about Henri's badge. It does not have any silver on the boat itself and there is no typical zinc bubbles on the reverse. The gold appearance to me does not look right either.
              jeff
              Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

That is the baffling bit. There is no appearant zinc oxidisation, but it looks very good. I do have zinc badges without the oxidisation bubbles though.

I posted a side view of the pin. Is the construction of it in line with an authentic one?
                Last edited by Henri S; 11-27-2005, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Hi Henry. The pin looks OK from what I see. Here are some fine points I was referring to. Your badge is upper left, the others are known originals:

1) Note the shape of the cabin and specifically the shape of the two rear doors. Yours seem taller;

2) Notice how the rubbing strakes intersect the front of the first window on the original badges, however on yours it extends out to the middle of the second window;

3) Notice the shape of the flag and the angle. Yours is distinctly different from the othersin terms of shape, detailing and angle.

I know these are small points, but I see differences in yours when compared to the others.
                  Attached Files
                  Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Thanks Lorenzo . I see your points. I have been researching this badge all day. The back looks fine, but there are these little details on the front that do not look quite as they should.
                    Could this be a very well made fake?

Comment

Hi Henri, I believe this is a high quality fake. When you take into account the finish differences along with the differences Lorenzo pointed out in the obverse compared to known originals, it all spells out fake.
                      jeff
                      Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Agreed . And thanks to all for your help. I will post this in the fakes gallery for reference.

Comment

Hi,

Another late reply, but I can only agree that imo this is a good quality fake. The hinge/pin/catch and especially the tophook do not look correct to me, the maker mark is off if you look carefully (still too neat) and there are discrepancies in the obverse detailing - the large upper waves are another area of significane different with originals, on this repro the waves are too neat/symmetrical. The basemetal does not look like zinc either imo.

Regards
                          Mike K
                          Regards
                          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Agree with Mike,

Looks convincing but just a few small details not quite right. The catch looks funny to me, would appreciate a sideways picture if possible.

Also the cut out of the swastika looks too clean as if it were done as part of the casting process. not by hand afterwards.

The naming is also off there are a couple of little pointers on an original that are not present.

Also agree about the metal itself, It would be interesting to check the weight, I suspect it may be quite a bit heavier.
                            Regards, Rob
                            Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

This is (or should be a super rare badge) yet you can find them quite easily in near mint condition . Surely there werent many E boats about and surely not everyone on board an E boat got a badge .I would expect to see a lot more looking like this .Rob.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ROBB; 11-29-2005, 04:45 AM.
                              God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Originally posted by ROBB
                                This is (or should be a super rare badge) .yet you can find them quite easily in near mint condition Surely there werent many E boats about and surely not everyone on board an E boat got a badge .I would expect to see a lot more looking like this .Rob.

Reverse.Rob.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by ROBB; 11-29-2005, 04:45 AM.
                                God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 15 users online. 0 members and 15 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X