Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Schwerin U Boat Badge

Hello All,

I have had this badge for a long time and until recently thought that the black stuff around the pinblock and catch was interesting.

I know now that it is black solder, there is one in Mike Tuckers new book that is the same as this one. Looking at the badge there is some interesting features.

1 Nickel Silver pin and catch.

2 Darker Gold on the pinblock, meaning that the badge was gilded and the pin, catch and pinblock were not done at the same time.

I have been told over the years that this is the FIRST type of Schwerin U Boat badge. Does anybody else have one of these?

I am sure that Gordon W will know what period this is from.

Comments welcome.

Regards,

Anthony

And the back.

Comment

EARLY SCHWERIN U-BOAT BADGE

Here is an early fire gilded example. these badges came with and without silver pins.
      Attached Files

Comment

ANOTHER ONE

Here is another scan.
        Attached Files

Comment

STILL ANOTHERS

TWO MORE.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Anthony,

No problem with your badge, is a good one, but I think that's a war time production, the quality is not so good.

Bill, I don't like the first you showed, eagle head, hinge, mark, etc..., but it's my opinion. The second is a good one.

I post some pics of mine to François for posting here.

Regards

Michel
            Last edited by Michel; 12-12-2002, 01:27 PM.
            Ohne Seemacht, keine Weltmacht !

Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=522068

Always interested by Kriegsmarine headgear, uniform and U-Boot related items.

Comment

POOR SCAN

Originally posted by Michel
              Hi Anthony,

No problem with your badge, is a good one, but I think that's a war time production, the quality is not so good.

Bill, I don't like the first you showed, eagle head, hinge, mark, etc..., but it's my opinion. The second is a good one.

I post some pics of mine to François for posting here.

Regards

Michel
              The badge is an early Schwerin badge. Sorry for the poor scan. Here it is from the obverse.
              Attached Files

Comment

Anthony,

Mine is very similar to yours.

George
                George

Comment

1a
                  Last edited by François SAEZ; 08-31-2008, 05:24 AM.
                  Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807895

Comment

1b

Comment

another example from the back - both this one and the previous one are posted for Michel

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the input and fine pics. Nice to see another just like mine thanks George. I still think that these ones are the first type made because of the soldered on pin, the later ones seem to have a complete pin assembly with matching gilt, this would be less time consuming, I did see this mentioned in some book somewhere but I have fogotten where it was.

The badge that I showed has very fine fire gilding with polished highlights, I don't think it is war time at all. The pic I posted of it does not show this up very well, I might try another.

Here is a better pic alongside an early mint Schwerin Minesweeper for comparision of gilt and time period.
                        regards,

Anthony

Comment

FOR ANTHONY

You said, "I don't think it is war time at all." I disagree because ALL the 1939 U-Boat War Badges, instituted on October 13, 1939 by order of Grand Admiral Raeder, were to be "presented to all officers, NCO's and crew members who serve on submarines directed against the enemy, and who prove themselves on two or more sorties against the enemy." Therefore, I say all Submarine War Badges of the 1939 design were issued during war time. The only exception would be the U-Boat Badge with Diamonds as it was not a war badge.

Comment

Hi Bill,

Absolutely right, so make it EARLY war then for the first type, or early badge, so that pins the period down.

Anthony

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X