• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frontreif badge

Hi
    I will appreciate your feedback on this badge
    thank you
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 06-28-2020, 08:21 PM.

Hi chahler,

Generally thought to be fantasy pieces. Here's a past thread on these:

https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...badge?t=764392

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Comment

Hi Norm
      I read a bit about those badges but what makes me wonder is the fact that the reverse side is made the same way as some silver wound badges in zinc and the Luftwaffe ground assault badge in zinc
      Attached Files

Comment

True, but fakers also produce this setup. Here are a couple of fake Erdkampfabzeichen with different reverse setups, not unlike what we see on the "Frontreif" badges.
        Attached Files

Comment

Another comparison. Staegemeier fake on the left.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
              Hi chahler,

Generally thought to be fantasy pieces. Here's a past thread on these:

https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...badge?t=764392

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Norm,
              Is this"General thought" based on any sort of evidence?
              I have one identical to Chahler's and it's quite well made. I paid $5 for it approx. 40 years ago and I've never quite understood the motivation to tool up for a badge like this only to make very few of them and sell them for five bucks? I say that because this particular variety appears to be quite scarce. I have great admiration for you and I make these statements with all due respect.

Comment

Originally posted by swjXE View Post

Norm,
                Is this "General thought" based on any sort of evidence?
                I have one identical to Chahler's and it's quite well made. I paid $5 for it approx. 40 years ago and I've never quite understood the motivation to tool up for a badge like this only to make very few of them and sell them for five bucks? I say that because this particular variety appears to be quite scarce.
                Hi swjXE,

Just the reasoning as presented in the previously linked thread that their existence does not seem logical and they appear with the same setups used by Staegemeir (although admittedly his fakes covered a wide spectrum).

There are countless examples of fakes and fantasy items manufactured in small quantities; economy of scale (or lack thereof) seems to be no obstacle for Staegemeir's providers and other fakers, and prices in the 1980's were low. Just because not many of them are still around 30-40 years later doesn't make them any more likely to be wartime.

In the end Gordon Williamson's words were appropriately cautious: "Amongst U-Boat collectors I know as many in the "for" camp as in the "against" camp, so until someone comes up with firm evidence one way or the other I'll keep an open mind, but consider them as said in my book as "speculative"." [referring to Torpedo Los, 2006]

Best regards,
                ---Norm

Comment

Thanks Norm,
                  Knowing that I'm highly unlikely to ever attain your level of knowledge, I humbly bow out and fully accept your opinion on the matter.
                  Last edited by swjXE; 06-30-2020, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X