U-Boat badge for Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-Boat badge for Opinions

Hi I am thinking about purchasing this.Is it real?
    Would like to know.Thanks for your replies.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 05-16-2020, 02:00 AM. Reason: uploaded the linked images

No, it's a known reproduction of the Deumer. And here are two more examples of this fake -- one marked L/11 and one marked 800.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 05-16-2020, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Ok Thanks

Comment

As a side note in my ongoing education on badges.Could anyone enlighten me as to the "tip offs"that make this readily apparent ( to the vets here,anyway ) that this is a fake?Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ToddPZ View Post
          As a side note in my ongoing education on badges.Could anyone enlighten me as to the "tip offs"that make this readily apparent ( to the vets here,anyway ) that this is a fake?Thanks
          Hi ToddPZ,

This is a repro that would likely fool most casual collectors. Proficiency at detecting fakes comes from repeated close comparisons with originals until you have a feel for what's right and wrong.

In this case, if you study the comparisons closely you will see the differences in base metal colour, texture, small detail, cutouts, pin taper and catch width. Furthermore, Deumer didn't mark their early Tombak U-Boat badges and the "L/11" mark is different from Deumer's "L/11" marks on other products.

There are in fact many variants of fake Deumer U-Boats with a variety of reverse setups and maker marks but this is the best of them.

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files

Comment

Ahh I See thanks,I am really looking for an original that is moderately priced to go with my WWI piece so the hunt continues.I do have a lead on another,via Huesken.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Norm F; 05-16-2020, 01:19 PM. Reason: uploaded the linked images

Comment

Originally posted by ToddPZ View Post
              Ahh I See thanks,I am really looking for an original that is moderately priced to go with my WWI piece so the hunt continues.I do have a lead on another,via Huesken.
              Hi ToddPZ,

A reminder, linked images are not permitted on WAF so please remember to upload images in the future. I've uploaded the images for you on your posts in this thread.

As to the badge you show, that's the so-called "5-feather" U-boat badge which has some controversy around it. It's possible that it's a late wartime Schwerin-made product but not yet proven, and certainly there is a post-war hollow version. I'd recommend you read this 5-page discussion before you decide:
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=740363

Best regards,
              ---Norm

Comment

Sorry about the picture fiasco, I am learning how to do this.As to the other thread link posted Interesting reading though!!!
                Last edited by ToddPZ; 05-16-2020, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Here is the unedited version if this helps with getting a more firm idea if real.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Todd,

Well, it’s real alright — the question is whether it was manufactured pre-May, 1945. It’s certainly “wartime-compatible” in terms of production values and, for the reasons enumerated in the other thread, personally I’m inclined to accept it as likely late wartime production. The only detractors are some examples that have turned up that look messed-with and the clearly post-war use of the dies to produce the hollow version.

In the end, you have to be happy with a badge at whatever amount you paid for it. A marked Tombak Schwerin will better retain its investment value but would cost a lot more, so depending on one’s budget and collecting goals a zincer with less certainty about it like this might be a better fit.

The same applies to the zinc badges of Souval, Rettenmaier and S&L, although I must say, to my eye these 5-feather U-Boat badges are certainly more aesthetically pleasing than a Souval or a Rettenmaier.

Best regards,
                    —-Norm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X