Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blockade Breaker, Schwerin Flatback, Opinions

Hello everyone,

Does this look like a good Schwerin flatback variety? Hinge and catch look fine, but the cutout along the back wings of the eagle looks a little different.

Thanks,
    Hayden
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 05-06-2020, 08:41 PM. Reason: restored the linked images

Hi Hayden,

I don't have a problem with the cutouts, but the hinge looks a bit odd. When you compare it to other originals the hinge block seems a bit narrower, the central opening is irregular and the central barrel on the main pin fits loosely with visible gaps. Also, although Schwerin sometimes used headless hinge pins on other badges, that's the first time I've ever seen a headless hinge pin on a Schwerin Blockade Breaker badge. They almost always have a dome-head hinge pin.

All that is to say, I wonder if the hinge pin has been replaced at some point leading to some manhandling of the hinge block?

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the reply Norm. I see what you’re saying. Perhaps the original pin was overextended, and resulted in the bent block? And the overextension caused the original pin to break, warranting a replacement? I know that’s far-fetched, but it could possibly explain the issues considering the rest of the badge looks fine.

Comment

Here are some closer pictures of the hinge block and the pin. Maybe these will help clear up the mystery.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Norm F; 05-07-2020, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burkhard45 View Post
          Here are some closer pictures of the hinge block and the pin. Maybe these will help clear up the mystery.
          Hi Hayden,

As suspected, a somewhat mangled hinge block and replaced hinge pin on an otherwise well-worn original.

Best regards,
          ---Norm

Comment

I agree with Norm, hinge repaired for some reason, otherwise ok
            Cheers,
            Hubert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X