Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth Tunic Opinions Please

Gentlemen,

I've owned this youth tunic with a Volkstrumm armband for some time and really have any clue as to whether its real, worn by a HJ or youth, etc--any opinions would be most welcome .

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    "We all have it coming, Kid" ("Unforgiven")

another pic

Here's where a small sleeve shield of some kind was stitched and then removed...any clue?
    Attached Files

Comment

another

badge loops
      Attached Files

Comment

next

interior
        Attached Files

Comment

last pic of shoulder strap

shoulder strap
          Attached Files

Comment

HJ tunic

Hello Bill,
            I dont know what kind of shield might of been there as I'm no HJ expert but the tunic itself does look okay,the red twisted cord would be correct for a HJ war volunteer but I supect it and the armband have been added for the volkssturm look.Hard to say if it and the armband are okay from those pics,
            Cheers,Paul.

Comment

Thanks, Paul!

Thanks for the opinions. I'll try to take some pics of the armband and post them.

Anyone have any idea as the green (and tan?) sleeve shield that seems to have been removed from this tunic and any ideas as to the type of badge that may have been worn with the breast badge loops?

Comment

The combination of insignia is plausible. Whether the armband has been added can only be conjecture at this point unless you have provenance that came with the tunic. As the HJ were involved with many areas of war service, the loops could reflect a flak badge or possibly a wound badge. The placement of the removed patch on the lower sleeve is curious. It is located in a location usually reserved for a specialty rating. As I cannot think of any multicolor specialty ratings, my only thoughts is possibly a city or village crest and this individual was involved in being an assistant fireman or Luftschutz helper.
                Bob

Comment

Thanks, Bob!

Thanks for the kind opinions, esp. with regards to the sleeve shield remnants. Would it be possible for a HJ in the Volksstrumm to earn a Heer flak badge or a WB?

Comment

A HJ member serving with a military unit would be in a position to be awarded any military award available to a member of the unit. There is a well documented and often shown film clip of Hitler awarding the Iron Cross II to a group of HJ involved in the Battle for Berlin.
                    Bob

Comment

Thanks, again, Bob!

I've seen that footage of Hitler awarding the EKIIs to the HJ just outside the Reichschancellory during the Battle of Berlin..an amazing scene.

Thanks again, for the kind help--I'll work on securing a nice Heer flak badge and continue the search to determine just what the heck was stitched to the lower sleeve of this tunic.... !
                      Attached Files

Comment

Bill-
                        A Luftwaffe flak badge would also, and more likely, be appropriate.
                        Bob

Comment

I would think the HJ proficiency badge much more plausible. I've seen pics of HJ members wearing them even on Luftwaffe or Heer tunics. Just because the loops are there doesn't mean it must be a combat award.

Comment

Originally posted by Gesetz
                            I would think the HJ proficiency badge much more plausible. I've seen pics of HJ members wearing them even on Luftwaffe or Heer tunics. Just because the loops are there doesn't mean it must be a combat award.
                            Historically, the purpose for loops is to retain the thicker pin of a breast badge. The HJ Profeciancy badge was normally worn on the right breast pocket and pinned through the fabric, as the pin is quite thin. Loops on a HJ blue wool shirt are quite uncommon. I have no doubt the loops are for some form of military badge.
                            Bob

Comment

badge loops

Thanks again for the kind comments. Based on the advice in this thread, I attempted to fit an award or two in the badge loops and found the loops too far apart for a wound badge, and likewise even for an EKI (I was just curious!), but the "longer" awards such as a GAB fit nicely. I may just have to pony-up for a flak badge and maybe a proficiency badge for the right pocket .

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X