WW2Treasures

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Close Combat Clasp (Nahkampfspange) first award date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close Combat Clasp (Nahkampfspange) first award date?

The Close Combat Clasp (Nahkampfspange) award was instituted on 25 November 1942!

When was the first award given?

What is the earliest know picture of a soldier wearing the CCC?

Russ

www.fireonthevolga.com

Close Combat Clasp (Nahkampfspange) award - 1, month, 3 months, 6 months…?

Question revision:

How many months after the Close Combat Clasp (Nahkampfspange) award was instituted (25 November 1942) would you start to see soldiers wearing the award and in photos.

1, month, 3 months, 6 months…?

Russ

Comment

4-6 months …

Damn, all of these experts on WAF and no one can give me a general idea how long from the instituted (25 November 1942) day to how long before we start to see them on uniforms?

My guess would be 4-6 months … anyone, someone?

Russ

www.fireonthevolga.com

Comment

Hi Russ,

Its a very interesting question, and I am sure no one is answering because it is really unknown.

The earliest document I could find is February 15th, 1943. With the establishment of the CCC on November 25th 1942, that is less than 3 months from the creation of the award to the awarding of the badge, which is pretty fast I would tend to think. That seems pretty fast to me for a badge to be instituted, contracts to makers issued, dies to be made, production, finishing, packing and shipping, distribution to the field and then award ceremonies to the recipients. Maybe some guys that have actually talked to some of these wartime makers can shed more light if this timeframe is practical (such as Andreas or Bass D).

All I have is the document, so its theoretically possible that he got the document and the actual award came later (sometimes happened like this with Paratrooper badges).

One other thing to consider. Hitler allegedly created the CCC as an incentive for the fighters in Stalingrad (instituted only 3 days after the encirclement). So its very possible that they rushed the production of this award to get it to the men, although I am not aware of any awardees in Stalingrad even though they were surely warranted.

Tom
        If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
        [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
        Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Hi Tom. In your 2007 book, you mentioned that soldiers who continuously served in the Russian theatre, for atleast a year, would have been eligible for the bronze. June 22, 1941 was the start of Barbarossa. The 1st awarding in '43 would not be too early then IMO.

--Ken

Comment

Hi Ken,

Sure, there is no question that soldiers that had been fighting in Russia for a year and a half would have been immediately eligible for the CCC when it was instituted on November 25th 1942. However, when you think of all the logistics that are involved with actually producing the badge itself and getting it through all the necessary channels and red tape to the individual soldier, it probably took many months.

3 months sounds plausible, but fast IMO. Four to 6 months sounds more reasonable.

Think about such badges as the Balloon Observer badge. Instituted in July 1944 with almost a full year left in the war, but yet no instance of this ever being produced nor awarded.

On the other extreme, you have the July 20th wound badge. The first awards of these were made on August 20th, 1944; only a month later! Sure there were not alot of these to award, but the thought that this badge was designed, dies cut, produced, finished, cased, shipped and then presented in less than a month is pretty incredible.

Tom
            If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
            [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
            Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

I also find it interesting looking at guys who MUST have qualified but they were a little busy. I saw an RK group to a guy that fought at Cassino for the whole campaign. He probably had plenty of close combat days but he was captured at the end so that is that...he never got the CCC.

Comment

Hi Tom. I guess my thinking is that, it was in conception much earlier than the November 1942 institution date, since a lot more ideas came to be with the 25 GAB etc.. later on. But I definitely agree and see where you're coming from on the "promptness". Interesting hobby -and good to pick up the pertinent reference material like your book. Perhaps someone figured out, early on, that they'd be in for the long haul, and would help morale.

--Best, Ken
                Last edited by Panzercracker; 05-24-2013, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Just embarrassing!

Thanks guys! I have come to a similar conclusion too; 4-6 month sounds plausible.

The reason I asked; with the soon to be released Russian film “Stalingrad” 3D I notice some small items wrong with the stills.

Why don’t these directors and producers hire qualified/professional researchers or collectors to consultant on their films? I understand when it comes to big/high dollars equipment they have to do weld-up mock offs but when it comes to small inexpensive detail it’s just embarrassing.

My guess is they are trying to base the plane on the shot down German Heinkel He-111) that was brought into Fallen Fighters Park a few months before the Stalingrad battle for display. The plane was cut into four parts before moved and stay throughout the battle until the summer of 1943. The marking on the He-111 are from Kampfgeschwader 55 "Greif" and three of the four letter identification code on the plane can be read: G1+A ? The last letter might be the letter “D.”

Russ

www.fireonthevolga.com
                  Attached Files

Comment

Please have a look at this thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=687668

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Schulke View Post
                      Thanks guys! I have come to a similar conclusion too; 4-6 month sounds plausible.

The reason I asked; with the soon to be released Russian film “Stalingrad” 3D I notice some small items wrong with the stills.

Why don’t these directors and producers hire qualified/professional researchers or collectors to consultant on their films? I understand when it comes to big/high dollars equipment they have to do weld-up mock offs but when it comes to small inexpensive detail it’s just embarrassing.

My guess is they are trying to base the plane on the shot down German Heinkel He-111) that was brought into Fallen Fighters Park a few months before the Stalingrad battle for display. The plane was cut into four parts before moved and stay throughout the battle until the summer of 1943. The marking on the He-111 are from Kampfgeschwader 55 "Greif" and three of the four letter identification code on the plane can be read: G1+A ? The last letter might be the letter “D.”

Russ

www.fireonthevolga.com
                      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1966566/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X