TARNISH on Badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TARNISH on Badges

Last edited by bnz. 42; 03-26-2007, 05:16 PM.

Silver will tarnish readily, while nickle is much more resistant to tarnishing. Some semi-paste polishes like MetalGlo & Simichrome contain tarnish inhibiting compounds. Repeated polishing is best avoided since it will wear the finish after a while.

Comment

Last edited by bnz. 42; 03-26-2007, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Attached Files
        Last edited by bnz. 42; 03-26-2007, 05:17 PM.

Comment

On this picture you can see the base (yellow) metal through the scratches
          Attached Files

Comment

My original question = is this silver finish (that we see here) - the original top finish or there was another one (on top of it) but now is wore off?

Comment

Dear Paul,

That should be the only finish, a silver plating on Tombak. After a while it just takes on the typical rainbow colours of silver patina. As Dave mentions, some other awards you might have, probably have a silver finish with nickle content and less actual silver.
              Cheers, Frank

Comment

Also, be very careful with TarnX. It is a pretty harsh compound. No matter how well you rinse, some of it will still adhere to the metal. This accelerates the tarnishing process and also intensifies the "rainbow" hue you are getting on the badges.
                Richard V

Comment

Originally posted by Richard
                  Also, be very careful with TarnX. It is a pretty harsh compound. No matter how well you rinse, some of it will still adhere to the metal. This accelerates the tarnishing process and also intensifies the "rainbow" hue you are getting on the badges.
                  Richard V
                  I agree with Richard. You must be extremely careful with Tarn-X. It is very aggressive product!

Comment

Thank you, thank you, thank you, guys for explanation and alert!

I use Tarn-X very seldom (like once in two years) and on this badge for the first time. By the way, the label says:
                    "Fully guaranteed not to harm recommended metals when used as directed".

Comment

Keep in mind that tarnish is a result of the surface of the metal reacting with the oxygen in the atmosphere, equivalent to the reaction that forms rust but not as severe. Everytime you dip any metal in TarnX, you remove the oxidation which means you have removed a small bit of the metal. It may only be on the molecular level, but over time you'll see the effects. It is especially noticable on copper. Dip a penny that has tarnished in TarnX. The first time or two it will come out like new. After about two times the penny will still come out bright, but there will be a noticable dullness with reduced reflectivity.

With TarnX's advertisement stating that it won't harm metal, think of how much they would sell if it stated that "repeated use of this product on the same item will eventually cause damage".
                      Richard V

Comment

Polishing badges.... SCAREY!!
                        Regards,
                        Chris

Always interested in buying Ribbon Bars or anything Ribbon Bar related!!

Comment

You could put a coating of vasaline on your badge after you clean it. This would help keep air from contacting the surface and causing it to tarnish (and add some protection from zinc rot if you have a zinc badge).

Comment

Originally posted by Tim L.
                            You could put a coating of vasaline on your badge after you clean it. This would help keep air from contacting the surface and causing it to tarnish (and add some protection from zinc rot if you have a zinc badge).
                            Tim,
                            But the Vaseline works like magnet for dust and dirt...

Comment

Originally posted by robert60446
                              Tim,
                              But the Vaseline works like magnet for dust and dirt...
                              Not on mine, they're under glass. I guess it could be a problem if badges are stored on a bookshelf or on a uniform. I think most people keep them in some sort of case or shadow box. Besides, I don't mean globs, just enough to keep air from contacting the surface.

Renaissance wax is another option. I use it on bare metal like blades but I'd think twice about using on something with a painted or wash type finish, it could be trouble if you ever want to remove the wax. It would be fine on this wound badge though. It wouldn't harm it and it could be removed safely.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X