Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italo German Africa Medal Opinions

Hello All,

I recently bought a Italo-German Africa medal and would like to get some opinions on it. After I bought it I did not know there were so many different types! I knew there was a bronze and a later zinc type. Mine is faintly maker marked and I believe the ribbon is good and safety pin was included. It looks like when they struck it the design at the top and the first few letters of ITAL are slightly off center and “blurred” for lack of a better term. Also I was not sure about the eyes of the crocodile since they do not have the distinct dot in the center like I have seen other examples posted here. It looks like I may have a Type 2 medal looking at the Arc. Hopefully I can get some opinions or more info here.

Looks to be a poorly stamped (or cast ) Type 4

Ian

Comment

The ribbon looks good to me but the medal appears to be a casting as Ian said.

Chet
      Zinc stinks!

Comment

It's a fake medal. In the Italian-German Medal book it its exposed in the fake chapter and called "Counterfeit n. 6".
        If you post better pictures all will be clear.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
        - THE SS TK RING
        - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
        - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
        - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Antonio Scapini View Post
          It's a fake medal. In the Italian-German Medal book it its exposed in the fake chapter and called "Counterfeit n. 6".
          If you post better pictures all will be clear.

Thank you Antonio. I was afraid it was fake after really examining this with a glass. I should have had it with me when I bought it, old eyes do not see as well anymore!

Any thoughts on the ribbon and if that may be original at least?

G

Comment

Originally posted by Glen S. View Post
            Any thoughts on the ribbon and if that may be original at least?
            Hi Glen,

It sure looks like an original ribbon and brooch pin to me. Could you post some better pictures? They are very blurry so it is hard to make out the flawed details.

Best regards,
            Tom
            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Ribbon looks good to me too.

My books:

- THE SS TK RING
              - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Not sure what happened to my pics. They are clear on Photobucket, but blurry when I post them here.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen S. View Post
                  Not sure what happened to my pics. They are clear on Photobucket, but blurry when I post them here.
                  All Members are allowed to post attachments now (up to 10 even); so might try that - we need to test it out anyhow.

James

Comment

I did not realize we could post attachments now. Much easier posting pics this way, thanks!

I thought the medal was maybe struck a little off center, but after studying it at home I noticed the letter “I” is missing in Afrika. Next time I will be sure to have a magnifying glass with me, hard lesson learned!

The ribbon and pin seemed to be original to me though. If it is, any idea of the value of this at least?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Confirm, madal fake, ribbon good.

My books:

- THE SS TK RING
                      - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Thank you Antoni and others for your time and input. Now if I could find an original medal and attach this ribbon to it and finally have an all original medal!

G

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X