opinions on OLYMPIC medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by burgerhaus
    Here is mine...I always regarded this as a faker.. I also was under the impression that very few of these were even awarded. Take a look at mine..the numerals are different than the 4 examples shown and also it is non-magnetic..hope this helps a little..Robert
    Here is the reverse now..
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is mine...I always regarded this as a faker.. I also was under the impression that very few of these were even awarded. Take a look at mine..the numerals are different than the 4 examples shown and also it is non-magnetic..hope this helps a little..Robert
      Hello Robert,
      Thanks for posting. Actually, 54,915 of these medals were awarded and a considerable number more would have been produced for surplus, replacements, and for sale on the commercial market. While this medal is certainly not considered common, it is not extremely rare either. Unfortunately, your instinct was correct. The medal that you posted is definitely a fake. Notice that your medal differs drastically from the others posted. The style of eagle, wreath, numbers, etc., are all incorrect. Yes, there are differences among originals of this medal due to different manufacturers producing them, but the differences are very slight. They all look the same at first glance and from a distance. Only with careful study do the minute variances become apparent on the originals. Your medal has a totally different design, that is not consistant with any of the originals.
      Best regards! Tom
      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Originally posted by tyanacek
        Hello Robert,
        Thanks for posting. Actually, 54,915 of these medals were awarded and a considerable number more would have been produced for surplus, replacements, and for sale on the commercial market. While this medal is certainly not considered common, it is not extremely rare either. Unfortunately, your instinct was correct. The medal that you posted is definitely a fake. Notice that your medal differs drastically from the others posted. The style of eagle, wreath, numbers, etc., are all incorrect. Yes, there are differences among originals of this medal due to different manufacturers producing them, but the differences are very slight. They all look the same at first glance and from a distance. Only with careful study do the minute variances become apparent on the originals. Your medal has a totally different design, that is not consistant with any of the originals.
        Best regards! Tom
        Tom, I was unaware that so many were awarded. How do you like that 3 on the reverse of mine?? Instead of putting it back in my faker box I've been thinking about shining it up, putting a swivel, a 4 inch leader and a hook and creating an Olympic fresh-water fishing lure. Hopefully I will catch one before I get snagged and there is one less faker. Have a nice week-end. Robert

Comment

Tom, I was unaware that so many were awarded. How do you like that 3 on the reverse of mine?? Instead of putting it back in my faker box I've been thinking about shining it up, putting a swivel, a 4 inch leader and a hook and creating an Olympic fresh-water fishing lure. Hopefully I will catch one before I get snagged and there is one less faker. Have a nice week-end. Robert
          Hello Robert,
          Yes, the 3, the 9, and the 6 all look very strange indeed. The fishing lure idea is not bad. I know some collectors that prefer the fishing lure method. Personally, I prefer to clamp my fakes in a vice and then saw them up, or break them into little pieces using pliers or whatever other tool might work. On occasion, I have also been known to melt the fakes using a blow torch. It's a good stress relief, and it makes me feel very good, very warm inside. It would probably make for an interesting thread on the forum, on how guys destroy their fakes.
          Best regards! Tom
          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X