Anyone missing their swords ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone missing their swords ?

A few shots of a grouping I picked up on Ebay a few days ago ..

I would imagine this device not to be original ..

Tempting to replace the missing swords from this bar ..

I bought the lot to study really, being a cross-section of pieces.

Cheers, Ian.

swords look used, interesting to see so many ribbon bar removed.

Comment

Nice stuff Ian and always handy to have loose parts around. I pick them up when I get the chance too in case I find a nice ribbon bar with a damaged device or ribbon.

I find your large swords particularly nice and interesting because they would look great on an Silesian eagle mount. A lot of SEs with devices (swords, wreath or both) had the devices attached directly to the medal itself but some owners attached the devices to the ribbon only which proved to be a smart move when the devices were later banned

Best regards

JC

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Claude View Post
        I find your large swords particularly nice and interesting because they would look great on an Silesian eagle mount. A lot of SEs with devices (swords, wreath or both) had the devices attached directly to the medal itself but some owners attached the devices to the ribbon only which proved to be a smart move when the devices were later banned

Best regards

JC
        Hiya J-C, I figured it would be for a medal bar … almost certainly Imperial/Weimar. There's a good mix of the styles and the later, short pin silver one would match the missing one from the Ostvolk. Still only 10% of me in favour of swapping it in though.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
          Hiya J-C, I figured it would be for a medal bar … almost certainly Imperial/Weimar. There's a good mix of the styles and the later, short pin silver one would match the missing one from the Ostvolk. Still only 10% of me in favour of swapping it in though.

Ian
          I would be in favor of restoring the swords. I know a lot of collectors frown on even touching things "as found" but I don't see the harm in bringing that one back.

Just my thoughts,

James

Comment

I would imagine this device not to be original ..

Tempting to replace the missing swords from this bar ..

Cheers, Ian.
            Not so sure Ian...there are 3 or 4 different sizes of the Westwall ribbon device and yours looks to be the smallest size like the one at left from my archive which also has a very conspicuous swaz. Probably never had much of a swaz to begin with and it didnt get better with die wear. The one at right is just a mm or so taller but it makes a difference

As for the missing swords on your 4 ribbon bar, personally, I wouldnt hesitate a second. In my book your not adding a device that was never there in the first place to make more fancy/prestigious you're just restoring a piece that was damaged to its former condition using original components

Best

JC
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice & rare RAD device JC; a pleasure to see!

Best,

James

Comment

As stated its always handy to have spare part devices for ribbon bars.
                Troy

Comment

Speaking of swords; wondering why swords on a non-combat bar. Mistake, or some legit reason otherwise...

James
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Claude View Post
                    As for the missing swords on your 4 ribbon bar, personally, I wouldnt hesitate a second. In my book your not adding a device that was never there in the first place to make more fancy/prestigious you're just restoring a piece that was damaged to its former condition using original components

Best

JC

Originally posted by Sevrin View Post
                    I would be in favor of restoring the swords. I know a lot of collectors frown on even touching things "as found" but I don't see the harm in bringing that one back.

Just my thoughts,

James

Well, I finally bit the bullet and replaced the stub of the old swords ...

Sorry the photo won't post the right way round.

Cheers, Ian.
                    Last edited by Ian Hulley; 06-03-2019, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Well, I finally bit the bullet and replaced the stub of the old swords ...

Sorry the photo won't post the right way round.

Cheers, Ian.
                      Great fit my friend!

And, if you cant sleep well at night because of your unforgivable transgression, just visit the archives...A lot of old threads have been butchered behond recognition and the pictures wiped off but there are still enough coherent ones left to reassure you you're not the first or the only one to restore a medal bar or a ribbon bar and as long as it is well done...

Take care

JC

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X