Ribbons Austrian Medal vs German Eagle Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Donnerwetter View Post
    Yes, a very nice one indeed! I really like these colour variations! Wonder how they came to be, I do believe the regulations clearly described red......
    Yes... I can well imagine tons & tons of regulation & standards books piled to the ceiling governing ribbon colours, receipes etc but red is a colour with a mind of its own. In my "working life" I was involded in design & printing and our corporate logo was mostly red and it was extremely difficult to match consistently depending on ink type/brand, paper type/finish, printing equiment and storage despite all the precautions we took. Funny thing with these medals though is that not withstanding fading (sun ) some red ribbons (like the Ostfront) are very consistant compared to other medals from what I have seen so far.

Attached are some of my Sudenten singles. Like I said before in this post seen in even more shades than the Anschluss

JC
    Attached Files

Comment

A nice display of Sudetenland medals! Also nice to see the matching ribbon bars. Haven´t really focused that much on single ribbon bars but I think I´ll have to start doing that now. Makes for nice displays!

Yes, getting the colour right is a problem for every manufacturer whether making ribbons, document, paint or photograhps. Just wondering, with the german medal quality control, how these came to pass the keen eyes of the inspectors.

These colour variations seems often to be seen on ribbon- and medal-bars, thus private purchase. Could it be that they where allowed for the private marked but not for award pieces?

As a comparison. I have noticed that the early, s.c. Schinkel Iron crosses 1939, are not seldom found on medal bars. They where not up to the intended standard of the 1939 crosses and my interpretation is that when they where given the thumbs down, the already manufactured pieces where allowed for the private market. Maybe the same thing goes for the "non-red" ribbons and these ribbon-variations are in fact of earlier manufacture?

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Claude View Post
        Funny thing with these medals though is that not withstanding fading (sun ) some red ribbons (like the Ostfront) are very consistant compared to other medals from what I have seen so far.

JC
        I've wondered that as well. Granted it was a few years later; but why did the Ost medal escape that variance in color? Barring left in direct sun or damage, I have never seen one anything but that distinct deep red.

Always more questions...

James

Comment

Originally posted by Donnerwetter View Post
          Haven´t really focused that much on single ribbon bars but I think I´ll have to start doing that now. Makes for nice displays!
          It does. Ian & JC got me started down that path as well,

But it's kinda fun searching for those. Some, like the NOK are very difficult to find.

That & single mounts have pretty much become a new focus for me. Would really like to emulate JC's collection of singles w/ the matching bar for displays.

Best,

James

Comment

Here's a photo from RonR's collection that he posted a while back:

The bottom left almost looks like it was meant to be pink instead of red.

James
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sevrin View Post
              I've wondered that as well. Granted it was a few years later; but why did the Ost medal escape that variance in color? Barring left in direct sun or damage, I have never seen one anything but that distinct deep red.

Always more questions...

James
              Yes, good point with the Ostmedaille. Can´t recall ever seeing it with anything but true red ribbon.

Comment

Originally posted by Sevrin View Post
                Here's a photo from RonR's collection that he posted a while back:

The bottom left almost looks like it was meant to be pink instead of red.

James
                That´s one colour variation I haven´t seen before!

The Hindi´s seems to be rather often encountered with variations in ribbon colour which would also suggest that these variations are mostly earlier production.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X