Social welfare medal on E-stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social welfare medal on E-stand

I am wondering about this medal on the E-stand, it looks like it has a raised portion on the rim, like a casting and the details look soft. Also the pin set up looks different than ones I have seen.

I'm a new collector and poster, and I don't mean to call anyone out, I just want to learn.

Thanks

Guy

Miscellaneous third reich items.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=988753

Hi Guy and welcome to the forum,

That Social Welfare Medal looks good to me. It gives me every impression of being die-struck and not cast. The detail seems crisp to me as well. I do not see the softness in detail that you are seeing. I understand your concern when seeing the raised lip around the rim, but that is not a casting flaw in my opinion. That is actually a trait that is frequently seen on many medals (and even coins) and is indicative of a die-strike. It is sometimes referred to as "coining flash" or "wire edge". It can occur in the die-striking process because of sloppy presswork, striking with too high a pressure, or overweight material blanks that get fed into the dies. Also, some medals received better finishing touches than others so perhaps this one got less attention when it came to deburring the rough edges. As far as the brooch pin is concerned, that is the typical style that was used for brooch-mounting single medals such as the Faithful Service Decorations, Police 8-Year Long Service Medal, RAD Long Service Medals, and the Austrian and Czech Annexation Medals. (Medals that were issued in boxes or cases.) Since Social Welfare Medals were issued in paper packets rather than boxes or cases, we normally do not find them brooch-mounted in this manner. The medal was issued loose in the paper packet with a long length of unmounted ribbon. It would then be up to the individual recipient to have the medal mounted for wear. So while it is uncommon to see it brooch-mounted in this manner, it is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Best regards,
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Yanacek; 04-27-2019, 11:22 AM. Reason: spelling
    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

I am uploading the pictures from the sales thread to the server so the discussion thread remains useful.

Here is the medal in question:
      Attached Files
      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

other, closer pics:
        Attached Files
        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

The medal itself looks fine, the ribbon mount is unlike any I've seen before on these though they aren't something I have paid much attention to.

Ian

Comment

Thanks Tom and Ian For the detailed response. I had never seen that raised wire rim before, and it made me think of a casting, along with the pin setup, I guess I started to seen more flaws than were really there. I should have guessed that it was a bur on the metal as I am a professional metal worker by trade ( aircraft sheetmetal).

I seen now some of the differences between shearing metal and striking it with die.

Thanks once again, as their is a lot to learn here.

Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Guy smith View Post
              I see now some of the differences between shearing metal and striking it with die.
              Hi Guy,

Yes! Big difference between the two. Anytime you have metal compressed between two dies there is going to be displacement of the material. If everything in setup is perfect, the displacement will be enough to completely fill the front and reverse dies and nothing more. But if the metal is squeezed too much, or if you start with a blank having too much mass, there is going to be excessive displacement of the material. That excess material has to go somewhere so it will find an outlet. And the result of that is wire edge flash.

You will find that your knowledge as a metal worker will be invaluable to the hobby of medal collecting.

Best regards,
              Tom
              Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

nice

nice info there Tom .
                good piece
                I agree the pin is not a concern at all as these were used in every day use as well as medals. ie broches and the like.
                Often a safety pin is used...
                Again great info on the stamping process.
                Here are some original adds from suppliers.
                Regards Pete
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice catalog pictures, Pete.

Best regards,
                  Tom
                  Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                    I agree the pin is not a concern at all as these were used in every day use as well as medals. ie broches and the like.
                    Often a safety pin is used.
                    Here's a link to my 1937-39 pattern DRK medal … mounted exactly as you say Pete.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ight=Red+Cross

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                      nice info there Tom .
                      good piece
                      Often a safety pin is used...
                      Again great info on the stamping process.
                      Here are some original adds from suppliers.
                      Regards Pete
                      Thanks for the interesting catalog picts Pete

Regards

JC

Comment

thank you for sharing catalogue pictures! Always helpful !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X