Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe Silver Cups

Hi guys,

Wondered if I could get some feedback on these from those with expertise in this area. Wondering what they are, what they were for, the markings, and authenticity.

Thanks in advance,

J-
    Attached Files

Originally posted by JasonA View Post
    Hi guys,

Wondering what they are, what they were for,

J-
    They're shot glasses. You pour a shot of booze in them, stand around with your friends, think of any reason whatsoever and toast to it subsequently tipping said glass into you mouth and swallowing. Rinse and repeat numerous times.

Prost!
    Attached Files

Comment

Agree nice, the ones that I have are marked the same.

Comment

Jason ,

These unit shot cups were most likely a part of a larger set of cups (along with a tray) in the officer's/NCO's mess. Most are found with unit markings & dates. Some have the addition of a name on the opposite side of the unit markings. Additionally, some cups were also made/presented on special occasions such as promotion, receipt of an award or, as is seen in many cases, to commemorate an aerial victory. Look under the Luft section and se Tim Calverts NJG tray with cups commemorating victories.

They can be found manufactured by a number of companies (the one shown in this thread is one of the more prevalent companies), normally with silver content mark, Crown & Moon hallmark. 835 seems to be the most often seen silver content although other content marks can be seen. The other markings are left over requirements from Imperial decree/ times that required silver to be marked with Crown and Moon and silver content mark. There has always been some debate as to why cups were marked with the Imperial crown in the 30s/40s even though the crown had abdicated.

The letters appear to be an intertwined F & A...Flak Artillerie. You might want to post in one of the other sections to see if the letters can be confirmed.

Gary B
        ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Thanks so much guys. And Gary, appreciate the extra detail. Exactly what I was looking for.

How much do individual cups typically sell for? These are obviously from different sets.

J-

Comment

IMO they are actually pretty cheap for what they represent. Most are between a $150 - $300. The most valuable ones are the ones associated with confirmed kills (those usually list the type of a/c and the date of the kill).

To se the best of the best se the NJG trays with cups (I believe these members have some shown in the Luft section: Silver, Tim C and Brian S)

Gary B
            ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Thanks so much Gary. Yes, I’ve seen several of those sets over the years. Just gorgeous.

J-

Comment

I agree with the others ! Beautiful ! Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X