Reiterabzeichen. Period or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reiterabzeichen. Period or no?

I own badges to flesh out my collection, but I'm not a hard core badge collector.

I have my doubts about these two Reiterabzeichen so I thought I'd throw them up here to see if those with more knowledge and experience can educate me.

I'm not sure on the Christian Lauer because it has a needle pin and I thought the proper pin for it during the TR would be a flat pin. (yes, it's missing the catch).

The Steinhauer and Luck is problematic for me because of the imprecise strike (or casting, I'm afraid) and the fact that entire letters are missing as a result of the imprecise strike.

There may be other problems with them, but those are just the details that concern me as someone who doesn't specialize in badges.
    Attached Files

The S&L:
    Attached Files

Comment

Another Christian Lauer......

Attached Files
      RonR

Comment

I have collected the "Horse" badges (Rider, Driver, Trainer) for some time and have subsequently formed opinions about them.

I have only encountered 2 makers of these badges - Steinhauer & Luck and L. CHR. LAUER.

S&L badges appear to always come with the following details: Hinge is a sheet metal one, folded over to form an "oval" base.
        The catch is a flat wire one soldered onto a round base that is then soldered onto the base of the badge.
        The pin is round.

Lauer was clearly the most prolific maker of the "Horse" badges which may explain why they can be found with different hinges, catches, and pins.
        The most common pin is flat but some examples have round pins.

TWS's Lauer example that is missing the catch is an original one. However, in light of the missing catch and condition of the badge, it would be best to look for a much better example and they are easy to find.

TWS's S&L example looks to be an original one with the maker lettering incomplete or obscure in places. If one is to own only one S&L example of this Horse Rider badge, look for a better example.

Comment

Hello Ron and Tim,

Thanks a ton for your input. Good to know that a needle pin does not mean a bad Lauer.

I do have two more. One is a really nice Lauer with flat pin and the other is a minty post-war Steinhauer and Luck (no "R" on the badge).

I'll get some photos of them posted up.

Comment

Here are the other two in my collection.

A period Lauer with the flat pin and a post-war Steinhauer & Luck.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here is an assortment of "Horse" badges.

In the top row are Horse Trainer badges. So far all I have encountered are made by Lauer and come with both round and flat pins. Note the one 2nd from the right has had a prong added to each side to further secure the badge to the uniform.

Below the Horse Trainer badges are 6 Horse Driver badges. The S&L examples have round pins while the Lauer examples can be found with both round and flat pins. The catches also vary on the Lauer badges.

At the bottom, the Horse Rider badges show the consistent accouterments expected of S&L badges while the Lauer badges have both round and flat pins and varied catches.
              Attached Files

Comment

Very nice assortment Tim.

For a long time I felt these badges were a little bit neglected. Probably because they didn't have any "cool" swastikas on them. However, they seem to be coming up in value, especially silver and gold grades.

Comment

Let us not forget the Rider Korp Plaque, Workers Union for Breeding (Gold, Silver, Bronze) and Youth Rider Badge. I have a few of the above and will try and get photos of them.
                  Collecting minis and KVKs

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X