Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two new Ribbon bars for me

I recently purchased these ribbon bars.

The top one is probably from an reactivated Luftwaffe NCO/Officer, who was also a Freikorps Kämpfer.

The bottom one is definitely an Heer Officer. I guess a Major at least. I hate the swords on the War Commemorative Medal of Austria....

Thank you very much,

Nicolas
    Attached Files

Hi Nicolas,

Looks like two nice additions to your collection.

Best regards,
    Tom
    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Thank you Tom!

Comment

Nice bars, Nicolas. Thanks for sharing.

So for the sake of discussion, I was of the understanding that the WWI commemorative decorations were non rank-specific. Was there an exception for the Austrian?

J-

Comment

Lovely original ribbon bars- I particularly like the Luftwaffe bar with Spange.

There is no way of knowing 100% if the Heer bar belonged to an officer bar or not.

Kind regards
          Pierce

Comment

Originally posted by JasonA View Post
            Nice bars, Nicolas. Thanks for sharing.

So for the sake of discussion, I was of the understanding that the WWI commemorative decorations were non rank-specific. Was there an exception for the Austrian?

J-
            Hi Jason,

They were non rank-specific. I just guessed as it is very unlikely after 25 Years of Service to still be an NCO. Of course the exact rank is impossible to find out. Maybe an Oberleutnant.....maybe Hauptmann...

Another question, that just occured to me....Were Godet bars only purchased by wealthy people?
            The salary of NCOs and lower was quite low, I think.

Best regards,
            Nicolas

Comment

Originally posted by luftkrieg View Post
              Lovely original ribbon bars- I particularly like the Luftwaffe bar with Spange.

There is no way of knowing 100% if the Heer bar belonged to an officer bar or not.

Kind regards
              Pierce
              Thank you very much Pierce!

Yes, it is interesting to see, how this man served in WW1, Freikorps and finally WW2 again.
              Eventful times...

Best regards,
              Nicolas

Comment

Originally posted by Priedel78 View Post
                Hi Jason,

They were non rank-specific. I just guessed as it is very unlikely after 25 Years of Service to still be an NCO. Of course the exact rank is impossible to find out. Maybe an Oberleutnant.....maybe Hauptmann...

Best regards,
                Nicolas
                Hi Priedel, Nice bars!

I might be wrong but, judging from your picture of the second bar, I see a gold and a silver eagle devices on the long service ribbons which would be indicative of 12 year service not 25 (2 gold eagles)

Cheers

JC

Comment

Thank you! Indeed, a possibility. The 2nd eagle looks kind of bronze colourwise...

Comment

No 100% determantion on if either bar was a officer or not.

The top one IMHO has a better chance of being an officers bar. not because of the 'Hesse Geberal Honor Decoration' as that was open to all ranks and bestowed for everything from lifesaving to war merit and 20 years service to just brave deeds but there only being 1 TRLS ribbon.

If my meory is correct officers where no elegible for the 4 year medal so they started at 12. Given that past service counted and I would say a better chance at 12 year rather than 4 year. JMHO,

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
                      If my meory is correct officers where no elegible for the 4 year medal so they started at 12. Given that past service counted and I would say a better chance at 12 year rather than 4 year. JMHO,
                      Hello,

Wehrmacht officers were most certainly eligible to receive the 4-Year Long Service Decoration. Perhaps you are mixing this up with the SS Long Service Decorations: SS officers were not eligible for an SS 4-Year Long Service Decoration. They could only get the 8-Year or higher.

Best regards,
                      Tom
                      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Ok I stand corrected. Will have to update my notes on that one.

So only the SS 4 year was NCO only, any others??

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X