Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Regarding Common and Affordable German Awards

Good day all,

In light of all the reproduction and counterfeit issues to deal with in acquiring authentic German Militaria, I ask this:

When it comes to very affordable and common German awards, are there still fakes of those floating around? I am speaking of such items as the War Merit Cross 2nd class (with and without swords) and Eastern Winter Campaign Medal, among others.

The specimens I have of these medals are in really excellent condition, and weren't hard to find or expensive, so I just wonder if there is a market for these types of fakes.

Or perhaps the ones I acquired are fakes, but I believe them to be real. I'd post pics to seek authentication but I am afraid I might not like the responses!

All comments and input are much appreciated.
    BR

There are fakes, but because of the masses of originals they are few and far between. With those medals you describe the changes or higher that you got a original then a fake (IMO)

Comment

No matter what you collect, there will always be fakes, both high end items and cheap items. So yes, those Winter Campaign, KVK and other common cheap badges are faked as well by the masses.

Comment

Everything is faked. Even low end 5-10euro tinnies. But i dont think it is as common as with more expensive items. Just look at SS items which are a minefield no matter which area you collect.

Comment

Hi Bobby,

I agree with the others: they reproduce pretty much everything these days, even stuff that is cheap & plentiful as originals like Hindenburg crosses, KVK IIs, KVMs, Ostfronts & Westwalls so one has to wonder why...

There are tons of original common stuff out there so even if they are in excellent shape and you didnt pay an arm & a leg for them chances are your items are good but the "ostrich syndrome" (afraid to post picts because you may not like the responses) always catches up to you sooner or later so you might as well face it ASAP and there are a lot of knowledgeable people here to help you

Regards

JC

Comment

Unfortunately even those low cost medals are faked. I have seen fake Eastern Winter Campaign Medals (Ostmedaille) in militaria shops before. If you have doubts, post clear pictures on the forums- there are lots of experienced collectors who are happy to help you out.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X