Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Danzig Cross 2nd class

Hi Guys

Just before I put this rare medal on the estand I just wanted to get some opinions on it.

In my view an original unmarked cross which has had some serious damage to the bottom arm and an added maker mark. The enamel repair is not very good!

many thanks

Patrick
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Patrick,

I don't know much about these, but it does have a very convincing look to it. Too bad, though, about the enamel damage to the lower cross arm. Someone really slopped that up with paint. I wonder if the damage was done when someone added that maker mark to the reverse?

Best regards,
      Tom
      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Hi Patrick, it looks like the enamel was damaged when the 'makers marks' were added AFTER the enamel was done ... that would be a big red flag for me.

Ian

Comment

Thanks Guys, Ian yes you are correct that is what I meant in my post- the mark is post war added and probably is what has caused the enamel loss. There was a trend several decades ago for upgrading unmarked original medals and badges to increase their value, I think this poor cross has been the victim of that.
          Otherwise it is textbook in every regard as far as I can tell.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X