Luftschutz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftschutz

I picked up this Luftschutz medal awhile ago. They're not in my normal collecting sphere, so I really don't know much about them. I was inspired by Ian's nice collection of different types from a couple of weeks ago to post it to find out more about it. What have I got here?
    Thanks for looking, Steve
    Attached Files

Hi Steve,

Looks to me like a nice example of the Second Class Luftschutz Decoration.

Best regards,
    Tom
    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Thanks Tom
      I was thinking about the descriptions Ian used: shaded, lightweight etc. What are the weights of these things? Who made them? Mines unmarked.
      S

Comment

Hi Steve,

These Luftschutz Decorations were produced in aluminum and in zinc alloys. The aluminum versions are lightweight and typically weigh around 12 or 13 grams. The zinc versions are around 26 grams, but the weight can vary a bit depending on the particular composition of the zinc alloy. As far as manufacturers are concerned, there is not much information available as these medals were unmarked in the majority of cases. The only confirmed manufacturers that I am aware of would be Katz & Deyhle of Pforzheim and Förster & Barth, also of Pforzheim. These two makers have been confirmed both by their Lieferant number stamped into the suspension ring and by their maker-marked issue packets. I would think that several other manufacturers produced these medals as well.

Best regards,
        Tom
        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

With their rings the K&D Zinc weighs ~30g and the unmounted Aluminium weighs 16g

I now have precision scales if you would like 'best I can do' weights for all my awards ? (I will NOT remove rings though)

Ian.

Comment

Thanks a lot Tom & Ian! That information helps.
            Ian no need for anything more precise, I was just looking for some rough numbers. I appreciate the offer though
            S

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X