Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAO, for opinion.

Kind hour Dear Colleagues.
    I Will be grateful for your opinion on this sign.
    Original or fake?
    Thanks for your Attention to my thread
    Cheers, Re.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Regen,

The ribbon looks okay, but I believe the medal is a fake. The Bronze Merit Medal to the Order of the German Eagle was not instituted until 1943. Prior to 1943 there was only a Silver Merit Medal. But all Merit Medals from 1943-1945 featured Latin script on the reverse, rather than the Gothic script of the earlier types. In other words, a Bronze Merit Medal should never feature the Gothic script that yours has. It is also my opinion that most of the Merit Medals from 1943-1945 were struck from zinc and given a silver or bronze wash, rather than being struck from genuine silver or bronze. It should also be noted that the Bronze Merit Medal would have a narrow white stripe down the center of the ribbon. So your ribbon would be correct for a Silver Merit Medal, not a Bronze one. Is there a maker mark on the suspension ring of your medal? You might also want to check on the rim of the medal for any markings.

Best regards,
        Tom
        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Yanacek View Post
          But all Merit Medals from 1943-1945 featured Latin script on the reverse, rather than the Gothic script of the earlier types. In other words, a Bronze Merit Medal should never feature the Gothic script that yours has. It is also my opinion that most of the Merit Medals from 1943-1945 were struck from zinc and given a silver or bronze wash, rather than being struck from genuine silver or bronze. It should also be noted that the Bronze Merit Medal would have a narrow white stripe down the center of the ribbon.
          As Tom say's ..

Order of the German Eagle Bronze Medal of Merit by '30' Hauptmunzamt Wien

reverse ..

Cheers, Ian.

Comment

Is there a maker mark on the suspension ring of your medal?
            Hello Dear Colleague Tom.
            there is no marking on a suspension ring.
            You are sure that it is a fake?
            I very much appreciate your opinion

Comment

Dear Colleague Ian,
              Many thanks for Help

Comment

Originally posted by Regen View Post
                You are sure that it is a fake?
                Hi Regen,

Yes! It may have a nice look to it but it is still a fake as far as I'm concerned. The medal posted by Ian is a very nice original. This is one of those cases where the fake is made nicer than the original. But all Bronze Merit Medals to the Order of the German Eagle must have the Latin script as seen on Ian's medal.

Best regards,
                Tom
                Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Hi guys.

This medal is a good fake.

Ribbon is for a Austria anexation medal.

Original bronce medal of the German Eagle Order as the rear side with latin legend.

Never the bronze medal of the German Eagle Order as made with ghotic characters....

Sorry Regen

Comment

I have seen other specimens like that but made in silver in stores like militaria321 .... there is no doubt ... it is a fake

Comment

Dear Colleagues,
                      Many Thanks for your Help!
                      I wouldnt do without you
                      +100 to your Karma

Comment

Apart from what has already been said, look at these details that differentiate the medals:

1-In the original medal do not leave those "peaks" in the wings of the eagles.

2-Chest very wide and very thin legs.

3-The center where the parts of the Cross of Malta unite is wider in the original medal

4-Swastikas very thin and with irregular arms
                        Attached Files

Comment

Notice the differences of the ribbons:
                          1-Black lines of the very thin sides.

2-Color of the ribbon is a red tone almost cherry, the original is a red more "alive"

3-It lacks the central white line characteristic of the bronze medals of the Order of the German Eagle.

Your ribbon is original but would correspond to the Austrian annexation medal
                          Attached Files

Comment

marisca lrommel,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. Very good comparisons.

Best regards,
                            Tom
                            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

marisca lrommel,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. Very good comparisons.

Best regards,
                              Tom
                              You do not have to thank mate. We are here to give and receive. In this way we learn together

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X