Medal Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medal Query

My next door neighbour recently pased away and left me these in his will.

He had serverd in the US army thru WWII he was a german American and moved to Ireland after the war. We often spoke about the war and he knew I had a great interest in it so he left me his medals certs and some uniforms items but also included where his fathers WWI & 2 Doc's certs he mentioned on one or tww occasions about the rift between him and his father after he moved away.
    It must have been strange fighting a war with your father on the other side. Any way heres what I translated with the help of google.

Citation for Long Service medal 3rd class (Vizefeldwebel Inf Regt Gras Barfuss No 17) dated 25th July 1915 (A5 size),
    Ernst Ludwig Honour award (Officer candidate Vizefeldwebel) same Regiment dated 11th May 1918 (A4 size),
    Wound badge in black for 2 wounds (Officer candidate Vizefeldwebel, same Regiment) dated 8th April 1919 (A5 size),
    Austrian WW1 Honour decoration dated 12th Jan 1926 (large format, colourful), Veterans assoc service dated 9th Feb 1922 (A5 size),
    Veternas War Service Cross 2nd class dated 3rd Nov 1932 (Oberstadtsekretar, A5 size),
    Herford 'Schutzenbataillons Officer citation? (Major der Reserve) dated 8th June 1935 (A4 size with folder),
    WW1 Honour cross dated 13th Aug 1936 (A4 size),
    12 Year WH Long Service medal 3/4 class (Regierungs-Inspektor Fliegerhorst-Kommandantur Handorf) dated 1st Apr 1937 (A4 size),
    large format WW1 Bulgarian Service medal dated 6th April 1938 (same WW1 rank and Regt, in original envelope),
    MEMEL 13th March 1938 medal dated 23rd Jan 1939 with facsimile Meissner signature (A4 size),
    13thOctober 1st 1938 Entry in Czech medal (Regierungsoberinspektor (Luft Hauptmann) dated 15th Aug 1939,
    War Merit Cross 2nd Class with Swords (Regiersungsoberinspektor) dated 1st July 1941 and ink signed by General der Flakartillerie Der Kommandierende General und Befehlshaber im Luftgau XVII (A5 size) and various Inter-war Offizier-Bund membership cards (one with photo).
    What I'd like to do his get the medals relating to the Docs but I have no idea how to go about it.. your help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Wookie; 02-25-2005, 03:04 PM.

Have I put this in the wrong section? Or is it no one can help with this one?

Comment

wanted - section

Originally posted by Wookie
      Have I put this in the wrong section? Or is it no one can help with this one?
      there is a wanted-section on this forum, where you can post a wanted-ad for the medals you are looking for.

Some of them also pop up on a regular base on the E-stand.

Regards,
      Ben

Comment

Hi Wookie, welcome to the forum! Sounds a very nice group that you have been left.

I think you should have no real trouble in finding the majority of the medals as most are fairly common ones. (But I am not 100% sure about the Imperial ones as this is not my subject )

Try some of the dealers we have listed as sponsors but like Ben suggests the E Stand is a great place to find good priced items.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

After looking thru this forum I've really gotten the bug...thanks for your help the forum is sweet... a treasure chest of info.

Comment

A classic "retread' group! I am surprised he did not receive an Ek2 though-most officer candidates did. Can you print the mans' name?
            I'll put a link to this in imperial.
            You'll find most of the medals over there.
            Also, any chance we can se a scan of some of the docs? I'd especially like to see the Bulgarian medal doc.
            Thanks,
            JeMc

Comment

I will of course I'm getting a scanner in the next few days. His name was Wilhelm Jung I dunno much about his father as he never really spoke about him. If anybody can help with the medals I'll pay the going rate no probs. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for to be honest. It really is remarkable having a piece of history in your home I always taught these sort of things as out of reach for the normal every day joe. After reading thru these forums I really have been bitten by the bug.

P.S My wife has just asked me should we list these under our house insurance. I'm not sure of the value. Do ppl list these sort of things
              Last edited by Wookie; 02-26-2005, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Bulgarian medal doc as requested with Envelope and note inside with award

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X