Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Stuff

Hey guys,

I've seen several medals listed on various sites with some kind of blue substance on the surface. Usually this blue is on the obverse of Buntmetal (or Tombak) badges.

An example:

What is this stuff? Is it some form of silver polish? Can it be removed?

Thanks.

Dear Darrell,

You will only find this on silver or heavily silver plated items. It is a reaction of the silver with the elements. Different colours of the spectrum can be found, also brown/orange tones or greenish/yellow tones.
    It is considered as natural patina, but if one wishes so, it can be removed.
    Cheers, Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Heukemes
      Dear Darrell,

You will only find this on silver or heavily silver plated items. It is a reaction of the silver with the elements. Different colours of the spectrum can be found, also brown/orange tones or greenish/yellow tones.
      It is considered as natural patina, but if one wishes so, it can be removed.
      Thanks Frank. Never knew that. Appreciated

Comment

Dear Frank,
        is it the same kind of stuff on this CCC ?
        or the back plate was covered with a blue color,
        when it was produced

Thank you

Last edited by Alexhip; 02-19-2005, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Hello Darrell,

As Frank mentioned, this bluish/purple effect is often seen on pieces that have a high percentage of silver or silverplate. It is called tarnishing or partial oxidation. It occurs naturally, over time, due to the exposure of silver to oxygen. As silver oxidizes, just about any color of the rainbow can be observed. Eventually, the silver will take on a completely black appearance which is known as total oxidation.

Hello Alex,
          The blue that is visible on the Close Combat Clasp backplate is not the same effect at all. That backplate is made of steel and has no percentage of silver in it. That effect is from a bluing agent, that is used to put a finish on the steel. Usually selenium dioxide is used to chemically treat the steel so that it takes on a bluish/black appearance. It is the same kind of finish that is used on many firearms.

Best regards! Tom
          Last edited by Tom Yanacek; 02-20-2005, 01:58 AM. Reason: spelling error
          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Originally posted by tyanacek
            Hello Darrell,

As Frank mentioned, this bluish/purple effect is often seen on pieces that have a high percentage of silver or silverplate. It is called tarnishing or partial oxidation. It occurs naturally, over time, due to the exposure of silver to oxygen. As silver oxidizes, just about any color of the rainbow can be observed. Eventually, the silver will take on a completely black appearance which is known as total oxidation.
            Best regards! Tom
            Thanks Tom and Frank.

So, what is the verdict with something like this? I have several EKs that are very tarnished or even blackened with patina. I leave it be due to my own preference. However, is this blue something most out there would rather leave alone?

If you were to remove it, would it take normal silver cleaner?

Thanks.

Comment

Hello Darrell,

I guess it is a matter of personal preference, but I think most collector's would tell you not to clean a piece. There is something about a piece that displays a natural patina. I think it adds character to the piece, and it confirms the fact that the item was not made yesterday. With minty and pristine condition pieces, we sometimes become suspicious because we feel that the item is too bright and shiny to be that old. By cleaning a silver or silverplate piece you will be able to make the it look more like it did when made, but you might find it harder to sell, because some collectors don't like items that have been cleaned, and others might even think it's fake because it looks too new.
              As far as cleaning something like that EKI Spange you posted, you can immerse the entire Spange in silver dip for about ten seconds and lightly scrub it with a soft bristle toothbrush, then rinse it with warm water. You can repeat these steps a second time if desired. Make sure you remove all of the moisture from the piece using a blow dryer. You can then lightly buff the piece using a silver polishing cloth. It will look like brand new if that is the effect you're looking for. Keep in mind though that with silverplate pieces, too much and/or too many cleanings will get you down to the base metal.
              Best regards! Tom
              Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X