Eastern Front Medal Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eastern Front Medal Opinions

Hello and I hope everyone is doing well.

I wanted to post this Eastern Front Medal for opinions... Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,
    Scott
    Attached Files

Hi Scott,

I'm not particularly liking that one. The coloration on the front looks odd and the detail looks weak, especially on the reverse. It might be a casting as the edges look a bit rough in places and the whole piece has a rather "soft" look to it. It also seems pitted, which could be indicative of a flawed casting process. Any marking on the ring?

Best regards,
    Tom
    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Not nearly as knowledgeable as Tom so take my comment with a grain of salt but for what its worth I think this one has a chance...

While most (if not all...there is still a debate on that) Ost medals are zink some earlier specimens were copper coated to prevent the zink from "acting up" so that weird yellowish "moiré" pattern on front could be the remnant of the original copper coat under the black & silver finish that is completely gone (and moreso on the back because of the lower relief).

Attached are 3 of mine; you can see a distinct yellowish undertone on the 2 specimens shown at left (marked 61 & 71) which, to me is indicative of a copper coat while the specimen at right (marked 65) is just silver plated & painted zink. Despite the fact all 3 are in similar unworn condition the copper coated specimens seem to hold their finish better

Best regards

JC
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello Scott

Its always hard to say without having them in hand. A rough one or a reproduction.
        IMO despite all roughness, cracks and over all bad shape this could even still be an original hehe. But thats just my opinion.

But even so I would not get it, so many fine originals out there for (still) a quite small price

Comment

Happy New Year all! Thank you Tom, JC, and Sveimhugi for reply and helping me out here!

Thank you, Scott

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X