Shooting Award lanyard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting Award lanyard.

Hi, I have this Marksmanship Lanyard that I keep fitted to one of my Waffenrocks. I wonder id one of experts on here could give their opinion as to whether it is and original or a repro. Thanks in advance David.
    Attached Files

#3and4.
    Attached Files

Comment

No 5

#5.
      Attached Files

Comment

It looks to be West German ... it lacks the lining to it's rear faces and the wool behind the badge has been 'lost' ... possibly because it was the brown-grey of the Bundesheer.

Ian

Comment

One, it would be most helpful to see the whole lanyard in one image.

Two, on the early marksmanship lanyards there was no protective lining along the length of the twisted cords. Most were retrofitted with the protective lining but not all.

Three, why is the wool backing to the rosette missing? That is most unusual.

Four, without the wool backing you should be able to easily see the 4 prongs for attaching the shield but not in this case. How is the shield affixed to the rosette?

Five, there are no signs of aging with the lanyard which should be around 80 years old.

Six, the overall construction of the lanyard is basically correct. Modern copies closely mirror the originals but when compared side-by-side with original examples the copies main twisted cords are slightly wider.

There are a lot of questions with this lanyard.

Comment

Lanyard.

Thank you for your comments, this was bought from a fairly well known English dealer who sometimes slips in the odd fake/repro so no surprise that it might be a fake. Will post some more images tomorrow. Shame because it adds a nice finishing touch to the look of the Waffenrock. Thanks David.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Zeug View Post
              this was bought from a fairly well known English dealer
              Was it Battleflag Militaria ?

If so then it definitely IS West German and I sold it to them with the brown-grey wool backing as West German this February.

Ian

PS I've since found the real badge for it

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
                Was it Battleflag Militaria ?

If so then it definitely IS West German and I sold it to them with the brown-grey wool backing as West German this February.

Ian

PS I've since found the real badge for it
                I don't think so, I think it was J.Brown.

Comment

Two more images.

Hi, two more images of the whole badge.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X