WW2 produced Hindenberg Crosses??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 produced Hindenberg Crosses??

Just showing the backside of a couple of Hindenberg crosses. One non-combat & the other for combat veteran.
    Are these WW2 era produced crosses. I ask because I see the maker mark on these two examples.
    Tim
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tim,

Wait for other opinions but I have a few of these (some mounted, some with loose ribbons) and they are all maker marked so I'm not sure how you could tell the difference between pre-war/war time or post war for that matter other than like most other TR awards there must have been a migration to zink as the war progressed

Regards

JC
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tim,

Nice crosses. The one without swords is by Carl Poellath of Schrobenhausen and the one with swords is by Tweer & Turck of Lüdenscheid. I agree with Jean-Claude in that it would be essentially impossible to know for sure exactly when they were made. Most Hindenburg Crosses were maker marked and almost all of them were struck from iron and therefore magnetic. I do suspect that most of them were made from 1934 until the end end of the decade. There was probably a tremendous surplus of these made in the prewar years and therefore little need to keep producing them in wartime.

Occasionally, though, one will show up with an LdO marking, like the L/15 example shown in the following thread. I would say that a Hindenburg Cross bearing an Ldo marking was either made in wartime or the marking was added to an unmarked surplus cross that was marketed for commercial sales during the war.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=883619

Best regards,
        Tom
        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Thank for that info Tom.
          Look forward to seeing you and Scott in Louisville.
          Happy Turkey Day!! Gobble-gobble!

Comment

Originally posted by TP Alexander View Post
            Thank for that info Tom.
            Look forward to seeing you and Scott in Louisville.
            Happy Turkey Day!! Gobble-gobble!
            Thanks, Tim. SOS will be here before we know it.

Best regards,
            Tom
            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X