Zinc, Buntmetal, Tombak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

!!

Thanks much for the info guys,was wondering the same thing.
    Steve

Comment

Hello Frank & all,

have you ever heard about the word "Kriegsmetall" in a contemporary source?

Regards,
      Christian

Comment

Hello Christian,

I think Kriegsmetall is a synonym for Zinc, that was given after war and not used in wartimes.

Best wishes
        Joerg

Originally posted by Wickie
        Hello Frank & all,

have you ever heard about the word "Kriegsmetall" in a contemporary source?

Regards,
        Christian

Comment

May I chime in with my questions?

Other then visual, how can I tell zink from tombak? Does either have any clearlt defining characteristocs? Magnetic? Anything?

Archie

Comment

Originally posted by Indyarch
            May I chime in with my questions?

Other then visual, how can I tell zink from tombak? Does either have any clearlt defining characteristocs? Magnetic? Anything?

Archie
            Zinc is not magnetic.

Generally many Zinc Badges have lost their original paint or wash color and appear as a flat grey. If the badge or medal has NOT lost its coloring (gold / silver etc.), quite often you see bubbling under the paint or wash surface. This is caused by the reaction with Zinc over the last 60 years plus.

Careful though, some silver awards (like Silver Wound Badges etc.) tarnish to give forth a dull grey appearance as well. But, generally speaking, higher quality badges made of Tombak (or Buntmetal if you will), weigh less, all things being equal.

Comment

Thank you Darrell. That helps a lot. That's kind of what I was thinking, but wanted additional 'expert' opinions.

Archie

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X