Russian Front Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russian Front Medal

A rather worn example made by either E. Fer. Wiedmann or Rudolf A. Karneth & Sohn.........

Attached Files
    RonR

ooo
    Attached Files
    RonR

Comment

I like them like this, worn but not abused !

Comment

It's a nice one! I also like the worn ones more

Comment

Nice one Ron. I would agree with Karneth (61), the maker mark looks identical to one of mine. The interesting thing on yours is while most of the silver (helmet, and medal rim) and the oxidized grey/black finish) are gone you can still see most of the copper coat that was applied prior to the the silver and oxidized finish by some makers

Best regards

JC
          Attached Files

Comment

its not a piece that would be worn on a jacket. Usually just the ribbon correct? How does a medal get worn like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Gaspare View Post
              its not a piece that would be worn on a jacket. Usually just the ribbon correct? How does a medal get worn like that?
              My guess would be it was probably mounted on a medal bar at one point and, depending on how it was mounted it probably banged & rubbed against other medals in the bar enough to explain the wear even if the medal bar wasnt worn on a daily basis.

Some tailors/medal shops went to the extent of securing the medal ring and the medal itself (when possible) to the ribbon with thread to limit the movement and potential damage like in the attached Schelischer Adler II single drapery mount but a lot did not. Furthermore, some types of mounts like the attached NSDAP pair the medals were so loose they couldnt help jingling around and rubbing againt each other

Regards

JC
              Attached Files

Comment

Great info JC. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X