Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe 5 Place Ribbon Bar

Good Evening Gents,

I just recently purchased and received this ribbon bar from the estand. I spoke to a few other forum members about this bar before purchasing it, but after having it in my hands, I have a few doubts.

If anyone could help enlighten me on whether this ribbon bar is good or not, it would be greatly appreciated. I still relatively new to collecting German ribbon bars, but one of the things that concerns me is the fact the the ribbons are a little loose, and not tight on the bar. There is definitely some wiggle on them as you can move them from side to side, is this normal for this type of bar verses the Bavarian style?

Best regards !!!

Sean
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Way too many scratches and handling marks on the back plate for my taste.

J-

Comment

Originally posted by JasonA View Post
          Way too many scratches and handling marks on the back plate for my taste.

J-

Jason,

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping you would chime in on this. So it looks like I got hosed on the estand. Hopefully, I can get my money back ???

Thanks for your opinion, it is greatly appreciated !!!

Sean

Comment

Well, that is my opinion only as others have not had a chance to see this yet. I can tell you that I've learned from several advanced collectors and even they disagree from time to time. So this is not an exact science. The reason I wouldn't buy that bar is due to the marring I'm seeing across the backing plate. Others may disagree. I have lots of Luftwaffe ribbon bars of all different styles, including tab-backed bars like this. Since they are manipulated easier than other types, you have to be more vigilant with them. But I had mentioned the point about advanced guys disagreeing because it's important to find your own voice. The more ribbon bars you see, the more that will develop for you.

J-

Comment

I think a better/clearer photo of the back of the bar would help, but it may come down to individual feeling on the bar. What I see doesn't bother me too much - in fact Wolfhounds beat me to the purchase.

I've rummaged through countless cases at militaria shows and antique shops where authentic (IMO) ribbon bars are piled in with pocket knives, bottle caps, geodes, and all sorts of scratch-inducing, ribbon component loosening bric-a-brac.

Comment

Scott - if you wanted it, it's too bad you had missed it. It's been on the stand for a while.

Perhaps Sean will sell it to you if he's still uncomfortable with it and you still like it.

J-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X