David Hiorth

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"DRK" - Social Welfare medal 2nd Class for parade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"DRK" - Social Welfare medal 2nd Class for parade.

I collect Third Reich firearms and accessories.

This came with some parts and accoutrements, it is not in my collecting wheelhouse.

I have identified it I believe, as a Social Welfare Medal 3rd grade/class for parade.

But, would like to know opinions as to whether it is original and whether it has any intrinsic value - as it will likely get traded down the road for spare parts, or collectable ammunition, to sate my never ending taste for such things - and help someone else with the need for ever more medals.

Note: width 1.6" - and non-pierced nature of the swastika emblem.

Thank you -

Last edited by pitfighter; 11-23-2015, 12:42 PM.

Hello,

While it does look good in some respects, I don't like the fact that the swastika and wreath are not cutout. I've never seen an original with a solid swastika and wreath.

For comparison, here is one that I'm sure is genuine.

Best regards,
    Tom
    Attached Files
    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Good eyes Tom.

That's a version I have never seen before either.

Stan

Comment

Yes - as mentioned in my original post, the non-pierced nature of the swastika was a red-flag for me - and the reason I have listed it here.
        The DRK and Welfare medals are straight forward enough even for me to verify on line with a little sniffing - but this design had me stumped.

There are several non-pierced examples on line, listed as early versions of the welfare medal.

Here is one at Herman Historica - http://www.hermann-historica.de/aukt...b=kat65_3r.txt

Anyway - all thoughts are welcome - I defer to the learned minds here.

Comment

The lack of quality in the enamel was a concern to me ... these are normally very white and very clear.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
            The lack of quality in the enamel was a concern to me ... these are normally very white and very clear.

Ian
            Ian -

Two pics in the outdoor light, I gently wiped some of the grime off with a cotton swab -

There is a yellowish surface age to the enamel, which has broken in places, I wouldn't rub too hard on it.

Last edited by pitfighter; 11-24-2015, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Much better that ... a sympathetic, gentle clean rather than removing all the patina and ruining the piece to many.

Ian

P.S.

Here is one at Herman Historica - http://www.hermann-historica.de/aukt...b=kat65_3r.txt
              Personally I wouldn't be happy looking at that one at home with a large JD and ice.
              Last edited by Ian Hulley; 11-24-2015, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
                Much better that ... a sympathetic, gentle clean rather than removing all the patina and ruining the piece to many.

Ian

P.S.

Personally I wouldn't be happy looking at that one at home with a large JD and ice.

I don't 100% understand your post, sorry, Ian -
                Is the Welfare medal I picked up good or bad in your opinion?

Cheers,

Pit.

Comment

Hi,

i am no expert in variations... i did not see the special swa at the first glance either.
                  I just want to say, that i like the quality of the enamel and the straightness of the feathers. These are always red flags for me judging these orders...

I did not like the dirt or patina as you call it (always asking myself where a decoration shall get that used look? Some field execises in parade dress with parade mount???)... So if its an original piece no damage in my eyes when removing that.

Regards!

Comment

Thanks Albert -

It was in a dirty box, with lead toy soldiers and a lot of dust and grime, probably a little boys play-thing. I bought the toy soldiers, too.

There was a Kriegsmarine badge and a Krim shield in the lot, too.

Comment

Originally posted by pitfighter View Post
                      I don't 100% understand your post, sorry, Ian -
                      Is the Welfare medal I picked up good or bad in your opinion?

Cheers,

Pit.
                      I'm saying that I'm not 100% convinced that the Herman Historical one is real either. Your parade-mounted example looks better in the new photographs with the enamel cleaned up. In the first set of photos the enamel appeared to be of poor quality ... something that doesn't happen in original examples in my experience.

Ian

Comment

Thanks -

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X