African Campaign Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

African Campaign Medal

I just found this medal , its looks like original to me , but like always i will appreciate your opinion
    Thanks
    John
    Attached Files

Hi John,

This looks to me like an original "type 5" as shown in Antonio's classification from the thread linked below.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=664314

Best regards,
    Tom
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tom Yanacek; 10-27-2015, 10:49 PM. Reason: added screen shot
    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Thank You Tom

Comment

I agree, it is a Souval original medal.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
        - THE SS TK RING
        - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
        - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
        - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Thank you Antonio

Comment

I was always told that this particular Souval medal was a post-war manufacture. If so, should it be counted as an "original" medal, even if it was made for veterans of the Africa campaign?

In any case, the quality of the zinc casting is extremely poor. It looks more like a cheap, modern casting made in Taiwan than something made in Vienna. Not really a piece I would care to display in my collection.

Comment

Originally posted by triad08 View Post
              I was always told that this particular Souval medal was a post-war manufacture. If so, should it be counted as an "original" medal, even if it was made for veterans of the Africa campaign?
              Post war medals are post war medals, not "originals".

About the rest of your statement I can only say that it seems to me you missed the last 3-4 years of research about this medal.
              PS: until 3-4 years ago no one knew this medal was produced from Souval.
              PS2: after the war Souval sold his die to Steinhauer & Luck for the production of '57 type...

Originally posted by triad08 View Post
              In any case, the quality of the zinc casting is extremely poor. It looks more like a cheap, modern casting made in Taiwan than something made in Vienna. Not really a piece I would care to display in my collection.
              If you base you criteria on evaluation of the base metal I think you will consider all the Bandenkampfabzeichen as fakes; they are thousand times worse than Souval Afrikamedaille.

PS: there's a (IMO) nice book on the subject, I suggest to have a look at it if you can/want.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
              - THE SS TK RING
              - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
              - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
              - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Antonio Scapini View Post
                Post war medals are post war medals, not "originals".

About the rest of your statement I can only say that it seems to me you missed the last 3-4 years of research about this medal.
                PS: until 3-4 years ago no one knew this medal was produced from Souval.
                PS2: after the war Souval sold his die to Steinhauer & Luck for the production of '57 type...

If you base you criteria on evaluation of the base metal I think you will consider all the Bandenkampfabzeichen as fakes; they are thousand times worse than Souval Afrikamedaille.

PS: there's a (IMO) nice book on the subject, I suggest to have a look at it if you can/want.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X