Award Case - Identification, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Award Case - Identification, please

Here is a well-constructed, good quality hardshell award case for a lapel pin or award of some sort. I acquired this in Vienna, but the seller knew nothing of the vintage nor what it originally contained.

The dark blue simulated leather covered case measures approximately 6 x 7 cm. The interior base - fitted and slightly vaulted/raised - is covered with a soft velvety blue material. The inside upper portion is covered in white silky material and is padded. An impression of whatever pin fitted in this case can roughly be seen impressed on the material, but I am unable to recognize what it represents.

Other details of hinge and clasp can be seen in the pictures.

Does anyone recognize this case, or would anyone care to hazard an experienced guess as to the award which belongs in this presentation case?

Thanks and regards,

John
    Attached Files

Interior:
    Attached Files

Comment

Interior base:
      Attached Files

Comment

Side view of raised interior base:
        Attached Files

Comment

Another side view showing push-pin clasp:
          Attached Files

Comment

Hinge:
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi John,

Looks like the insert is for some sort of lapel badge, not a pin-back as such. I'd measure the ID of the recessed circular area (to narrow down possibilities) and repost on the political forum for a more informed response. Examples of possible candidates might be a civilian glider badge (Segelflieger A, B, C or with silver/gold wreath) or a Golden Party Badge but it may be a generic casefor a piece of private purchase jewellery (non-military/political related).

Maybe add an image of the impression on the silk upper insert - someone may recognise the award that way as well.

Regards
              Mike K
              Regards
              Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

John

Does the insert come out all, not that I want you to force it out I am just asking. It would be good to see that horse hair glue inside. Also have you put the case under a black light at all to determine the organic nature.

Regards.

Comment

Thanks Mike K. and "Nellyp51" for the replies. The case passes the black light test, so no problem there. I tried to lift-out the blue flocked base but it needs to be forced and I prefer not to do that for fear of damaging it.

The dimensions are L-to-R 95mm and top-to-bottom 105mm. However, the top-to-bottom measurement certainly allows for room to get a finger under the side for removing the badge. I have not measured the depth, but as one can tell, whatever badge belongs here the fitted base provides for a substantial type of lapel fastener of sorts.

Here is another image - best I can get - of the impression on the padded silk.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi John,

For measurements, I meant the ID of the circular recess within the insert. Eg, does it take a 20 mm, 25 mm, 35 mm round badge?

I've mucked around with the impression on the insert to convert it to what you'd see if you were looking at the badge. It doesn't look third reich to me. I can sort of make out a winged bird or dragon? I can't make out a swastika.

Regards
                    Mike K
                    Attached Files
                    Regards
                    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Thanks for your effort ad input on this one, Mike. The depth of the rim of the recessed, circular area is 2.5mm. You may be correct that it is not a Third Reich badge. Hopefully some member will recognize what it is and be able to confirm or suggest otherwise. John

Comment

I don't recognize the badge that is supposed to go in this case, but I can say that it is a classic style of Austrian case. The Austrians were very big on badges as we all know and produced a multitude of high quality items for many many local organizations both civilian and paramilitary. Here's a similar case that has the raised dais for a buttonhole type-badge. Forgive the poor pics!

Comment

Hallmark.

Comment

Yes, Eric, that is definitely the same kind of badge buttonhole lapel fastener that would fit into my case. Here's hoping that someone can identify exactly which badge belongs there, but I expect - given what you say - this will be like finding a needle in a haystack! Thanks for your helpful feedback. John

Comment

Correcting my measurements stated above in posting #9 (sorry), the dimensions L-to-R are 25mm and top-to-bottom 28mm. So, in answer to Mike's question in his posting #10, the fitted case would accommodate a 25mm round badge.

In fact, I just tried my 25mm Golden Party Badge in the case and, although that was clearly not the badge which originally came in this case, it fits beautifully! (see below).
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X