Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Spanish" wound badge

Hello All,
    Before placing this one for sale (E-Stand) I would like to have your approval since it is not my field of knowledge. Obtained in 1990. No marking. Indication on current value would be nice also. Thank You in advance.
    Please let me know if close ups are essential.
    Attached Files
    Jean Pierre Redeuilh
    All my collection of SS Buckles is for sale. Contact jpredeu@rogers.com for inquiries

Could it be possible to have a clue on this one? If it is a fake I do not want to put it on the E-stand. Any help will be appreciated.
    Jean Pierre Redeuilh
    All my collection of SS Buckles is for sale. Contact jpredeu@rogers.com for inquiries

Comment

Hi JP, I cannot help on originality, as it is a different maker to mine, but value would be around $100 +. (That is what I paid, $100, for one from Frank H about 2 years ago.)

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Jean Pierre,

Don't take the absence of response so far the wrong way. I'd suggest this is a hard badge to say definitely fake or definitely good - the Spanish / First Pattern 1939 Wound Badges aren't that well know. Hamelman shows a "prototype/changeover" example similar to yours, characterisised by a very low and small swastika - the image in his book is really poor though and there's no reverse image for comparison. There does seem to be some difference in the location of the swastika though, to me indicating that one or both swastika may have been hand stamped. The pin on your badge is unusual but not unrealistic. I picked up a similar Black Grade recently but there are slight differences between it and yours - I'm comfortable with my example but I certainly can't swear that it is 100% genuine.

My advice would be to list it on the E-stand and simply state that you're unsure of it's authenticity due to lack of good info - let the E-stand rules abide and let the collectors decide for themselves.

Regards
        Mike K
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

sorry to hijack your thread Jean Pierre!
          I too am trying to authenticate one, what do you guys think of the one in this thread...?
          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=74433
          regards
          jon

Comment

Hi,

Jon, my impressions were that the detail on the badge looked OK, the hinge/pin looked OK and the catch may be repaired. The swastika is where I have some concerns - it looks like the right swas arm (3 o'clock position) is disproportionately large in the image. If the swas isn't of an even height and the arms aren't very similar in proportion, I'd suggest this might be an unsucessful attempt (probably post-war) to upgrade a WW1 badge to a 1939 First Pattern. If all I had to go on were the images provided, I'd pass on it.

Regards
            Mike K
            Regards
            Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Thank You All I am going to follow your advise and direct people to this thread if concerns arise.

Best
              Jean Pierre Redeuilh

Comment

Thanks Mike,
                I had NEVER thought about a post war 'nazi-upgrade', but of course it is very possible. I'll take a real close look when I see it again
                thanks so much for the advice
                jon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X