No announcement yet.

The Marshals Baton Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we know what this scepter looking thing with the gold eagle on top is in post 240, (immediately prior to this post) lower right of photo? I've never seen anything like that before.

Steve
    ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Sherlock View Post
      Do we know what this scepter looking thing with the gold eagle on top is in post 240, (immediately prior to this post) lower right of photo? I've never seen anything like that before.

Steve
      I have no clue either Steve. Here's a side photo focusing on Göring's baton.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hermann Göring's GFM baton (or first type issue) was awarded to him on February 1938. This was the first Air Force baton given to a Feldmarschall. While of similar construction to the Blomberg baton (with light blue velvet shaft covering), it incorporated the Air Force balkenkreuz symbols. Additionally, the endcaps were inlaid with many small diamonds.

It is now in the National Infantry Museum, Fort Benning, Columbus, Georgia.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the cool thread and the great photos. Any stories on how the batons came from their original owners to where they are now? In particular, how were they 'liberated' or lost?

Comment

Originally posted by Manalishi View Post
            Thanks for the cool thread and the great photos. Any stories on how the batons came from their original owners to where they are now? In particular, how were they 'liberated' or lost?
            Hi Manalishi, most of the batons (if not all) were "liberated", stolen or taken, after 1945. Some of them handed over by their former owners, while others were simply grab by allied soldiers.

Only a few remained on families hands (von Manstein, for example).

If you see all the post of this threads, you are gonna see the current locations of many of the batons.
            Last edited by Sepp45; 09-30-2013, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Guderian was no Feldmarschall. I am sure you meant Rommel ....
              B&D PUBLISHING
              Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
                Guderian was no Feldmarschall. I am sure you meant Rommel ....
                Yes Dietrich, Guderia wasn't a GFM (silly mistake ). I meant Erich von Manstein's baton, currently at the hands of his family.

Thanks for the correction

Comment

An official photo taken by the US Signal Corps showing the baton of Generalfeldmarschall Maximilian von Weichs, after he surrender it to american forces in 1945.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sepp45 View Post
                    An official photo taken by the US Signal Corps showing the baton of Generalfeldmarschall Maximilian von Weichs, after he surrender it to american forces in 1945.
                    And the full article shown by Hermann Historica about GFM von Weichs.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Awesome topic. Found this for sale on ebay last week.

Albert Kesselring with his interimstab.

Comment

The baton of Großadmiral Dönitz, as shown by an old navy magazine.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sepp45 View Post
                          Großadmiral Erich Raeder
                          The pictures comes from an issue of Internationales Militaria-Magazin #125.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Sherlock View Post

Steve
                            Hello Steve

That is an Italian Baton , years ago I saw it in a thread here on the forum , but I can't find it anymore , maybe somebody else knows where to look for it .

Hans

Comment

Color photo of Großadmiral Erich Raeder with his baton, shortly before the surrender of France, 1940.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Großadmiral Erich Raeder during the commemoration of Hitler's birthday. Side view on the baton.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 36 users online. 0 members and 36 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X