Meticulous Medal Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Scott,

Thanks for posting that picture. Is that portrait currently for sale on ebay?

Best regards,
    Tom
    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Not that I know of. It's just a photo of Richthofen from my files.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott C. View Post
        Not that I know of. It's just a photo of Richthofen from my files.
        Okay, Scott. Thank you! I asked because I saw that ebay picture manager icon at the lower right corner of the photo.

Best regards,
        Tom
        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Really neat to see this kind of effort and precision!

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by joshlichty View Post
            Really neat to see this kind of effort and precision!

Thanks for sharing!
            Thanks for the comments, Josh! A bar like this is right up your alley, isn't it?

Best regards,
            Tom
            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Originally posted by tyanacek View Post
              Thanks for the comments, Josh! A bar like this is right up your alley, isn't it?

Best regards,
              Tom
              Hey Tom!

I don't really have a collection of mounted medals. But the ones I do have, have long service medals only. I saw a really nice Wehrmacht + Customs bar the other day in the forums - it was just stunning! That would be one up my alley, and a welcomed addition !!

Comment

Tom, really unique and awesome bar.. I love how the LS Devices are mounted to the backing plate. The maker of this bar obviously had quite a bit of pride in his work!

Thank you, Scott

Comment

Hey Tom!

I don't really have a collection of mounted medals. But the ones I do have, have long service medals only. I saw a really nice Wehrmacht + Customs bar the other day in the forums - it was just stunning! That would be one up my alley, and a welcomed addition !!
                  Hi Josh,

Is this the one that you are referring to!

Best regards,
                  Tom
                  Attached Files
                  Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Originally posted by Rommel1933 View Post
                    Tom, really unique and awesome bar.. I love how the LS Devices are mounted to the backing plate. The maker of this bar obviously had quite a bit of pride in his work!

Thank you, Scott
                    Hi Scott,

Thank you for the comments. I think most people took pride in their work back then. But, even so, this person was over-the-top.

Best regards,
                    Tom
                    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Tom,
                      I have to agree with the others, a very nice bar. Obviously the assembler did not want his work comming apart. I do have a observation concerning the EK. When it was new and shiny would not the drilled holes with the dark colored thread detract? Now that patina has set in over the years it is not noticeable in the least.

Chet
                      Zinc stinks!

Comment

Originally posted by tyanacek View Post
                        Is this the one that you are referring to!
                        But of course!

If she ever becomes to much to handle, I have room over here!

Comment

Originally posted by Chet Sowersby View Post
                          Tom,
                          When it was new and shiny would not the drilled holes with the dark colored thread detract? Now that patina has set in over the years it is not noticeable in the least.
                          It is also possible the thread was a light colour at one time also! White thread on a mint shine would be hard to see. I would imagine they both aged together.

Just a theory.

Tom can you see the reverse of the thread, is it lighter than the front?

Comment

Originally posted by Chet Sowersby View Post
                            Tom,
                            I have to agree with the others, a very nice bar. Obviously the assembler did not want his work comming apart. I do have a observation concerning the EK. When it was new and shiny would not the drilled holes with the dark colored thread detract? Now that patina has set in over the years it is not noticeable in the least.

Chet
                            Hi Chet,

Here are a few more thoughts:

The 1914 EK2 on this medal bar appears to be an actual award specimen from the WW1 era, rather than a newly-manufactured, private-purchase piece of the Third Reich Period. So this cross may have already had twenty years or more of patina on it when the medal bar was assembled. Secondly, the thread looks darker in the picture than it actually is. It is silvery-gray in color and I think was probably a good match at the time of assembly. And, lastly, these tie-downs are so small in size that, even if there was more contrast between the EK2 frame and the thread color, they would still be hardly noticeable. When EK2s were tied down, the assemblers would usually run black thread across the entire cross arm, so this meticulous method is far less noticeable.

Picture below shows the typical method by which crosses were tied down.

Best regards,
                            Tom
                            Attached Files
                            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

It is also possible the thread was a light colour at one time also! White thread on a mint shine would be hard to see. I would imagine they both aged together.

Just a theory.

Tom can you see the reverse of the thread, is it lighter than the front?
                              Hi Josh,

A very good point and I think a very plausible scenario.

The thread is definitely not as dark as it appeared in the first image. It is actually a light gray color.

Best regards,
                              Tom
                              Attached Files
                              Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X