Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theory on Schrobenhansens & ...hausens

Hello friends,

I visited few collector friends in Hamburg couple of weeks ago and there is intresting solution for much discussed Carl Poellath, Scrhobenhausen / Schrobenhansen west wall medal packets.

As most of you know, hallmarks and printing altogether was made by composing machines with separate types for each letters.

U and N as printed in these packets seems to be mirrors when flipping them 180% upside down.

Attached picture of the same stamp with two text variations;

1. Has Schrobenhausen text and 2. Schrobenhansen

I made up the #1 from #2 just twisting the one letter with PhotoShop...

What do you think? Since all the contents with these variations are the same. I believe some typographic worker has just made a mistake ... and I believe Schrobenhausens are very genuine Poellath's

Jani
    Attached Files
    - Military historian and dealer from Finland.
    - Collecting Finnish awards, German EK1's 1939, KVK1's w/o swords and Tirolian shooting badges.
    I still need EK1's L/14 Screwback and Pinback.

I'm a believer I must say, yes this theory has been thought of and I believe Jamie Cross has deliberated this and written to this effect on his web site. This theory/idea has been discussed of late on several threads.

There are however differences in the designation print and packet 'paper' to some noticeable degree. So the the above photo shop, concludes nothing on the basis of variations which heed the 'conclusion's'.......but I know where you're coming from though.

Thats just covering some ground discussed before very basicaly and from my own observation and others.

I own several examples of the correct and 'incorrect' spelling packets, these 'incorrect' are not all West Wall packets.

This debate will go on and on and on , the only conclusive way to deduce if these are indeed correct or incorrect is via some 'serious' testing of the paper and ink.

I am in the process of this determination and hope to conclude this matter for all of us, once and for all, regardless of theory or whom advocates them this will be the concluding chapter in this on going summise.

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

Yes, i am a believer of this theory to. But to proof it will be hard, realy hard.
      I hope someone does a serious testing of the paper and ink in a scientific way to end these discussions once and for all.
      Regards
      Hans N

Don´t throw away your fake WB´s! Get in touch with me.
      I collect them for reference purposes for the benefit of the hobby (for the right "fake" price of course).

Comment

The proof is easy to attain it's convincing the collectors, I'm putting time and money into this but if people don't want to believe they won't. So I'll present the information in the near future and then each to their own.

If I come back with a negative......there alot of dealers and collectors who'll denounce my findings, so this process is being done via 'researchers' in England who authenticate papers, documents etc etc for the worlds museums and this very same process is used by 'goverments' and their services.

It's an infallible process which can not be denied.

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

The problem as i see it is how can one proof that all these Schrobenhansen is good, since there seems to be a awfull amount of them around.

One might come thru, but how about the next and the next etc...?

The doubt will there anyway i think.
          Regards
          Hans N

I collect them for reference purposes for the benefit of the hobby (for the right "fake" price of course).

Comment

Oh to true Han's and this will be the problem of course because it will lead to some doubt still.

I'm trying to attain as many examples as possible of the 'incorrect' one from all sources far and wide, older and more new find's.

The one thing the West Wall packet has in common, is that they are all the 'same' and carry the same traits. Now the incorrect spelt WB packets and KVK 2 (large type) are slightly different.

While the KVK packet is very convincing alas the WB packet are very poor looking so to speak.

But yes I agree with you, it does have it's downfall's in the respect you mention ( I've had thoughts about this and got a few more grey hairs) but I'll try to limit them the best I can.

Great to see people thinking about these though and coming up with theories etc

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

I for one would love to see what you can come up with Marcus, i hope you´ll let us know when the work is done.
              Regards
              Hans N

Comment

I'll post all my findings and a detailed explanation of the process involved for sure.

Kr

Marcus

Comment

If the misspelled name and the correct spelled name came off the same letter set, the kerning (space between the letters) should also be exactly identical. One should be able to lay both styles side by side, and they should measure out the same, despite the mispelling. A different typeset at a different place would not produce the exact same spacing. Close maybe, but not exact.

Having worked with this type of equipment, I can tell you that that accidently placing a b where a d goes or putting a letter in upside down is common place, but I can also tell you that any type set person also runs a few samples to insure that such mistakes dont actually make the printing run, its all part of doing the job. Regardless, it is still entirely possible to have an error slip by if the typesetter isnt paying close attention, visually impaired, or is illiterate to some degree.

With a background in graphic design, I see many instances of errors even with modern technology. I could easily see a mistake like this slipping through.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

I agree that these misspelled envelopes are just period mistakes.

Comment

Even the world's best quality control lets things slip through every now and then.
                      Richard V

Comment

Marcus,

I think its an excellent idea to get the Schrobenhansen packets tested, it would be hard to dispute the results of an accredited organisation. I'm still unsure myself, though I want to believe. Have the Schrobenhansen packets been around for a long time?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard
                          Even the world's best quality control lets things slip through every now and then.
                          Richard V

PLUS ... QC personnnel of today aren't getting bombs dropped on their heads suffering from sleep deprivation like those in War torn Nazi Germany either ! And they still make mistakes.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X